Topic

Xpac fabric stringers as exo skeleton compression/load stabilization system for packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Xpac fabric stringers as exo skeleton compression/load stabilization system for packs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I was looking at the photos of my newest pack I sewed together and posted in separate posting. From what I can tell from wearing and carrying it around loaded today the sewn in vertical strap works in vertical compression.

Making packs out ultra light weight fabrics like Cuben ,1.9 ripstop nylon or 210d dyeemna grid stop.

I was thinking how Xpac can be used as a sewn on top of ultra light fabric can be used as a exo skeleton frame compression/load stabilization system for load control instead of using nylon straps to save weight in the pack design.

You could sew vertical 1 to 3/4 inch wide straps at the center pull and each corner they all connect at the top draw string closer for the pack made out of Xpac. When you pull the draw string tight to close the top of the pack it chinches up the vertical straps .
    Horizontal compression:
    Then sew two horizontal straps 8 to 12" around the circumference of the pack were nylon straps would be.
    It would act as compression/Load stabilization system.
    If you look at the photo of my pack you will see were the 210 dyeenma fabric bulges out from the vertical stringer so it works as compression.

front of pack
    Thanks for looking at my rambling thoughts on ultra light pack design.

Terry

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools