Topic

Shoulder Strap D-rings

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Shoulder Strap D-rings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mary DeVan Felkins

@devan

I've recently seen a photog with d rings on his shoulder straps that clipped to his dslr. If you carry your camera this way can you tell me how you like it? Thanks.

I don't have said d rings. I hope I can add them to my REI Flash 65. Anyone do that? Thanks again.

Will Webster

@willweb

I found hanging a DSLR directly from the shoulder straps uncomfortable after a couple hours because it wanted to hang at a 45 degree angle, digging the bottom edge into my chest. Maybe with a lighter lens it would have been better (I use a 17-50/2.8 when hiking). My preferred method is to hang a "digital holster" case from the D rings – almost as quick access, better protected, and a lot more comfortable.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I also found it uncomfortable to have the camera suspended directly from shoulder straps. It bounces on my chest, and also it blocks my view of my feet which leads to stumbles.

Instead, I use a long camera holster on its own seperate strap over my neck, and it hangs over my right front pocket. It is a lot easier to seperate things in a hurry, like when you see small wildlife 50 yards away. You want to ditch the pack in a hurry and get over there with the camera. I tend to carry extra lenses in the holster, so I don't want to ditch the holster and carry the bare camera.

–B.G.–

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

I have three methods for you to consider. I think they are all better than attaching directly to shoulder straps.
    1. get something like this chest harness that attaches to a backpack: http://www.backcountrysolutions.com/ It lets you quickly get the camera ready, and holds it in a better, more stable/comfortable position.
    2. if you are wearing an outer layer with a full zip, and a pack with a waist belt, then you can try this. Lengthen the camera neck strap until the tip of the camera hangs below your waist. the pack's waist belt seals off the bottom of your zippered layer, forming a big 'kangaroo pocket' that the camera can rest in. Cons are if you start working up a sweat inside, and if the jacket is loose there is still a lot of wiggle room. However, all the weight is taken off of your neck.
    3. use a carabiner to clip the camera strap to the haul loop of your pack. when you put the pack on, put your head through the camera strap. Depending upon your pack (if its big enough…) the strap will be lifted off of your neck and the weight will be on the pack.
    *Clipping your sternum strap over the camera strap helps stabilize it a lot.

-Will

Ed Engel

@doorknob

Locale: West of what you think is west

I carry my DSLR in a Think Tank holster bag. It has a velcro flap that I open and slide it over my backpack belt buckle. the holster bag has 2 d rings on the side of the bag at the top, I attach adjustable straps from the d rings to the d rings on my backpack shoulder straps. Most of the weight is carried on the waistbelt, the straps help balance the load. The camera does not bounce around and is easy to access. I carry 2 lenses in the bag. This set up works for me.
    http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-holster-20-v2.aspx

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

I don't carry my big dslr into the wilderness but I would second getting some kind of holster bag. I've seen people with the 'tourist strap' around the neck with the camera in front and think 'all it takes is a stumble or trip and that camera is going to swing right into that rock face.' The D-rings might work well if the length of the strap were short enough to prevent the camera swinging too far forward.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I have carried a Nikon D700 w/L bracket with lens on a strap around my neck and over a shoulder. If the camera is off to the side it is not to bad a carry. Last year I purchased a Aarn Marathon Magic 33 with front pockets. After removing a divider I can get the camera in the front pocket. Some other items can also fit in the pocket. I carry water in the other pocket to help balance. No weight on the shoulders and I have fairly quick access. I also carry a 20oz Gitzo GT-921 with ballhead. Now if only I could find a digital Nikon FM3a it would be perfect.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools