Topic

Light weight thermals vs liners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Light weight thermals vs liners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

So for sleeping i am debating on using thermals vs a liner as they can pull duel use and add warmth in camp I currently own a pair of under armor cold gear 2.0 that I love the set weighs 9ounces vs my 4ounce liner but they also serve as my camp insulation when it's warm enough i don't need a down jacket so my question to you guys is what is the lightest warmth to weight ration pair of thermals you own? Please list size,brand,model and obviously weight I am open to silk poly merino pretty much anything I am looking for a set the weighs in at under 8 ounces for size small just looking for ways to widen my comfortable temp range for a minimal weight penalty thank you in advance

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Does no one own some light weight Longjohns they could weigh for me ?

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I use Patagonia Capilene 2. You are farther south, so the lighter weight Patagonia 1 might work better. You can get the weights (I think for size M) from the Patagonia website. Mine are, of course, women's, so the weight won't help you much. As you suggest, they can keep you warm in camp on cold mornings/evenings as well as in the sleeping bag. Most of the time I wear the top as my hiking shirt, which means it does double duty but isn't too clean. I wear my windshirt over it inside the sleeping bag when the top gets too grubby.

I personally have not found silk to provide much, if any, warmth. I tried a silk liner in the sleeping bag for a while and just got thoroughly tangled up (resulting in something of a disaster when I was in a big hurry to leave the tent!). When I stopped using it, I noticed no difference in the warmth of the sleeping bag.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

All in "small":

Terramar merino bottoms, about same thickness as Cap 2, 5.3 oz. Often on closeout at STP.

Patagonia 1/4 zip LS merino top, older style, about same thickness as Cap1, 4.6 oz. Very soft, zips up to mock turtle neck.

BC.com SS merino top, very thin, 4.2 oz. BC has replaced with similar "Stoic" brand, often on SAC. Fits snug.

I used to use synthetics which weighed a bit less for same thickness, but the stink was a problem (even after washing). To me, merino is more comfortable at moderate temps vs. synth–warmer when I'm standing, and cooler when I'm moving.

My capilene stuff was prob. a bit lighter for the warmth, but I never wear it anymore.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

So what weight of merino is equivalent warmth wise to my cold gear? I love my cold gear but hate the stink I am very open to merino what weight would you Recommend for a set same warmth as the capiline 2 and cold gear 2 for under 80$ stoic ? Icebreaker ?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Multiple use gear/clothing is the best route and it often begins right where you are, with your sleep system.

That you'll have extra clothing for, hiking, around camp and sleeping is a plus. No liner will give you those options.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Patagonia Capilene, Men's Med. 5 oz. LL Bean 3/4 mid weight men's med 8 oz.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Does merino itch ? Smell horrible when ?wet hold water ? Make you feel clammy ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools