Topic

Adirondaks – high peaks region – recommendations?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Adirondaks – high peaks region – recommendations?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Barry Pollock

@barry1492

Locale: Media

Hey all,

I'm doing a 2 nighter in May with a friend and 3 dogs. Looks the the high peaks region is a whole lot of intersecting trails so we can pretty much tool around for a few days with no problem. Are there any great trails or must see peaks that anyone would recommend?

-Barry

Erik Danielsen
    BPL Member

@er1kksen

Locale: The Western Door

The Ascent of Gothics from the southwest is spectacular and fun, with log ladders, cables and etc. if the dogs are up for that. From there, the narrow saddle to Pyramid Peak is great as well (and an exhilarating run if you're in the mood).

Barry Pollock

@barry1492

I'll be sure to check it out. Thanx!

Nate Lee
    BPL Member

@nathan52

the great range imo, is not appropriate for dogs. Maybe one grizzled hardocre army dog. I can't imagine three dogs and two owners, what with leashes and all that. There are many vert ledges you will ascend and worse, descend.

Are they even allowed in the arctic alpine enviroments up there?

That said there is much awesomeness in the area and I'm sure you'll find something. My advice, do indian pass and phelps up marcy. Dogs can do that no problem. Indian pass is criminally undervalued.

Nate Lee
    BPL Member

@nathan52

Also, no dogs allowed on AMR lands, so you'll need to spend some time planning a route. Try calling amc headquarters, they're extremely friendly and nice people.

Barry Pollock

@barry1492

AMR Lands? What's that?

Barry Pollock

@barry1492

I justed wiki'd AMR. I assume these should be clearly dilineated on my maps.

Erik Danielsen
    BPL Member

@er1kksen

Sadly, I have no experience hiking with dogs so I don't know what is or isn't necessarily dog-appropriate terrain, so… yeah, take my post with a few hard shakes of the saltshaker.

On another note, my high peaks topos do clearly show the borders of AMR land, as should any good maps of the area. I think it even shows up on google maps (terrain view).

James Wyse
    BPL Member

@ravelyn

Locale: The Crossroads of the Revolution

I agree about not bringing the dogs on the Great Range, including Gothics. It is seriously rugged terrain. As Nate Lee said, plenty of vertical ledges, ladders, cables, etc. Some dogs could probably make it. But why not find a route that will be more enjoyable for both man and beast.

Barry Pollock

@barry1492

So, looks like I'm planning to go during blackfly season. Is this going to be a real problem? Would you recommend against it?

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Hiking during blackfly season! Tell us about your experiences when they release you from the hospital…

Erik Danielsen
    BPL Member

@er1kksen

Bring some oranges. After you eat them, fold the chunks of orange peel so that the bitter "oil of orange" squeezes out and rub it on exposed skin. It's not perfect, but it cuts the bugs a bit without being chemically irritating (if your body doesn't mind DEET, that might be better. I can't really use DEET so I wouldn't know).

On top of that, headnets and long sleeves if it's really bad.

If you buy one of those tiny "Blackfly Houses" to attach to your pack or the brim of a hat they might decide to be friendly to you. You never know. :-P

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

I would recommend against it. You can get a headnet, put on deet or slather yourself with whatever else you want to, but those little buggers are relentless. Be prepared to pack an extra pint of blood in the car for the drive back. In all seriousness though….I have always found trips during blackfly season to be a PITA, still went but always ended up cursing at those things more than I would like to.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools