Topic

Oregon trip…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Oregon trip…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    albert barragan
    BPL Member

@comaone

Locale: PNW

After looking over maps and various sources I have come to the conclusion that I need some input… So I am enlisting the help of BPL'ers in the Roseburg Oregon area to give me some input as to places to go to. I want to do a 2 night trip into some solitude, or as much as possible, I would love to hike near a small stream with trout, trying to keep it in the low milage, like arround 25ish (plus or minus).
    I found some places, like Boulder creek Wildernes (boulder creek trail), Rogue-Umpqua Divide Trail. just not too sure about it, so if anyonre here is more familiar with the area and can help a brother out…

Oh yes, I should be there next week from the 17th to 24..

Thanks fellas

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Living in the Portland area, I'm not all that familiar with Roseburg, although I've visited there several times. I do know, though, that the places you mention–certainly the Rogue-Umpqua Divide– are still under many feet of snow. We are once again having a big snow year (it's still snowing down to 1,000 ft. elevation in northern Oregon) accompanied by a cold, soggy, late spring. California is having the same weather but more of it.

The Rogue River trail might be your best bet. It's low enough elevation to be free of snow. It's also one of the classic Oregon backpack trips.
    http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Rogue_River_Hike

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Around Portland there's snow above about 2500 feet so I'de think there might be snow on Rogue Umpqua divide, which I know nothing about, but if it's a divide it probably goes above 2500 feet.

I've hiked down the Rogue River several times. Not total solitude, especially within 5 miles or so of the trailhead. Trail stays near the river. 40 miles from end to end, but you can go as far as you want. Description at http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Rogue_River_Hike. Definitely no snow there.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

hmmm – Mary hit the submit button before I did : )

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Great minds think alike? :-)

Michael Mathisen

@mathix

Locale: Oregon

I am about 60ish miles north of Roseburg, but I don't have much exp. with the area. I was curious if you have looked at The North Umpqua trail?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 on the Rogue river, a trail I've never done but would like to some day. It's your best bet for snow-free hiking in that area at this time of year.

I've been to Boulder Creek Wilderness many years ago. Aside from the snow, the wilderness area is fairly small (for a wilderness area) and the main trail basically tracks up the steep valley of the creek. There are a few side trails to the east and west, but any loops would involve some road walking, so the trip would probably be an out-and-back.

Not sure what time of year they really come out, but watch out for ticks (I got one in Boulder Creek Wilderness).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools