Topic

SUL MYOG Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear SUL MYOG Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

Just finished making my pack for a SUL trip along the AT this May. This was my first project I've made on my own without help. I based it off of a combination of the pack from the 5 yards to SUL article and pictures of the GG Whisper. The colors are a pretty festive combination of fabrics I had left over from other projects. The green is 2.2oz ripstop and the red is silnylon. The main compartment is somewhere around 1800cu in, I think. My loads, even with five days of food, will still be less than 20lbs, so the hope is the pack will just be enough. The final weight of the pack is 3.8oz as seen in the pictures. One last thing to make for the trip is a quilt now. Pack FrontPack Back

Christopher Taggart

@penndude

Locale: Western PA

Boy howdy that thing is bright! I like it and under 4 ounces nearly defies gravity! I think you need a fake white beard to go with it.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I like the 3.8 ounces

and the simplicity

how does the top close?

is there any hip belt?

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

I was thinking about the fake white beard as well. I figured it would be warm enough to keep it on as a multi use item in case my head gets cold at night.

The bag closes with the same velcro roll top system as the G4 and Whisper. The first pack I made was a G4. I also added in an opening to insert foam or a sock into the shoulder strap for padding if I want it, but no velcro to close it. The straps stay closed just under the pressure anyways. There is no hip belt on this pack. The last few trips I've only used the hipbelt a little, and it just wasn't very important to me at the weight I'm carrying this summer.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Chris ,
    Cool looking SUL pack it does look look like santa is coming to town, Nice sewing work like the roll top design. I was wondering what will be the total weight with it packed with your gear, food,water in it?
    Terry

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Well, I guess we all know what your trail name will be…

Martha S.

@kitfox

Or maybe "Chris Kringle"?

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

My gear, dry, is somewhere around 4.7lbs. With 2L of water and five days of food (the longest amount I will need for my trip), I should be around 19lbs. I actually posted a gear list here

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=45698

I'd appreciate any help checking that to make sure I've got everything I need.

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

Sweet looking pack! Not exactly 'stealth', but you definitely will NOT loose this thing when empty.

And might I strongly recommend the BEARDHEAD found in my adjacent avatar to complete the 'Kringles' (which I whole-heartedly agree on for a great trail name) look =D!

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

I'm liking the idea for the trail name. It doesn't look like the beardheads come in a white that would really fit the name though unfortunately. They are still pretty amazing though. How warm are they?

Clint Wayman
    Spectator

@cwayman1

Locale: East Tennessee, US

On a scale of 1 to Warm, I would rate it at VERY warm. a couple hours of light skiing in the winter is about all I can do before taking it off sweating… and it works really well at keeping your upper lip toasty =)

kinda difficult to eat with it on, though –> too much food getting stuck in your beard!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools