Topic

Grand Gulch (Utah) Water?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Grand Gulch (Utah) Water?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Heading in on Monday.
    Kane to Bullet.

BLM is closed, and not open weekends.
    Gov'mnt maybe closed.

Anyone got water info?

Thanks

Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

I've been to the Grand Gulch twice in late March, 2009 & 2010 and I did the the Kane to Bullet section the first time then down to the end the last time. I have never had trouble finding water. Coming down Bullet you will find water in different pockets under ledges until you get down to the floor by Perfect Kiva, which has a large pocket in a crack on the north side right before it.

Going up the Gulch you will find water sources by Coyote Canyon junction and then a small one that was suppose to be dry usually but was full when I found it by split level. There is another one about a 1/6 of a mile into Todie Canyon. After that we found small pockets here and their until the ranger station.

The National Geographic map is pretty good with locating water sources. As you know you just need to keep your eyes open and keep a look out for the signs of water. You know what your doing. Sorry I don't have anything more then past experiences. Might want to call some of the outfitters around they might help you.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Just a guess, but I'd bet that all of the usual water sources have water now. And isn't it raining? There might be potholes around too. Do you have the info on what the usual sources are?

Ask at Bogley.com, the main Utah playtime board…

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Jack,
    I do not know the "usual sources".
    A list would be appreciated.

I'll check out Bogley.com as well.

Thanks.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

There's a spring or reliable surface water just before Kane meets the Gulch, kind of a pour-off, and a nice ruin on the north bench above it.

There's a reliable spring at Green Mask up the channel past the ruin and rock art panel. By the way the "Mask" is theorized (the experts are basically positive) as representing a sort of bag made from a skinned head……… and back up canyon there's another picto of the head with the skin removed. One of the most amazing panels I've seen anywhere. Those peaceful basket-makers.
    Green Mask

There's also surface water where Bullit meets the Gulch as the stream bed "rises" to the surface. I expect you'll find surface water all along the route.

If you end up walking through it a lot and you probably will, be sure and clean out the sand and silt regularly as Eugenius pointed out in the stream crossing thread.

Jack H.

@found

Here you go:asdf

Asterix is "intermittent".

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

That works for me.

Thanks Jack.

Jack H.

@found

I'm going to erase the photo of the water sources soon. It's not my creative content. Downloaded it before it's gone.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools