Topic

USB-charging UL camera?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography USB-charging UL camera?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

I'm planning a major backpacking trip for this summer where I'll be relying on my Solio 160 gram solar charger to power an iPod and camera. The Solio charger has all sorts of connectors to fit it to many phones and cameras, but the catch is that the camera must be one that is built to charge from a computer through the USB port.

Are any of these cameras still made? If so, what would be a good quality, low-weight option?

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

Why not get some batteries that charge off of USB? It is probably easier to find a camera that takes AA batteries.

Like these http://www.amazon.com/USBCELL-AA-Rechargable-Battery-MXAA02/dp/B000LV8YKQ

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

I have used a power monkey for many years and it has provided faithful service. It has the advantage of a storage vessel that is charged and in turn directly charges items.
    Here is an example:

http://www.earthtechproducts.com/p2588.html

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

After a bit more research using better search terms I've found several _new_ cameras that charge through the USB. Seems like this is slowly becoming a mainstream option!

Olympus VR 310
    Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10
    Sony DSCWX9

Melinda Mathews

@mel23ku

Did you ever end up buying one of these cameras or another type of camera that charges via USB? I'm traveling to Nepal and have the solio charger, but need to find a camera that has great quality, is light and charges through USB.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Melinda, yes, I bought the Olympus VR 310. For 100 days in the Alps, Pyrenees, and Scottish Highlands last summer, I used the following:

Solio Charger
    Olympus VR 310
    iPod Touch
    Apple bluetooth keyboard
    iPod USB charger

This was a great combo. The Olympus VR 310 photo quality is very similar to my Canon G7, and the wide angle is great. However, the direction I am moving is probably this: replace the camera with the latest generation iPhone :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools