Topic

So Cal BPLers — 3rd annual San Jacinto Loop

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
Nick Gatel BPL Member
PostedMay 24, 2011 at 9:28 am

Chad,

Alcohol should be okay. I have used them in the past, and no one has ever checked on what kind of stove I have.

PostedMay 24, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Incredible!

I'll be carrying my SteriPEN (latest version) for instant water! If you trust the light voodoo, that is.

PostedMay 25, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Nick,

Any suggestions for somewhere to "crash" friday night near the Trailhead? Would I be able to get away with sleeping at the parking lot? I am debating leaving Friday and sleeping up there or getting up at 1 AM Saturday morning.

Thanks,
Chad

PostedMay 26, 2011 at 10:48 am

Not a bad idea, Chad. I wasn't looking forward to having to wake up at 4AM. I think that sleeping over at the trailhead would be much more convenient.

Nick Gatel BPL Member
PostedMay 26, 2011 at 11:50 am

Guys,

Normally I would invite you to stay at my house. But with remodeling and guests that won't work out this week.

A couple options.

If you are driving up Friday night and just want to get a few hours sleep in your vehicle. You will get to the museum by diving down East Tahquitz Canyon Way towards the mountain. When you get to 101 N Museum Dr, you will turn right. You will immediately see a parking lot on your left. DO NOT park in this lot. Next is the museum building, and then the 2nd parking lot. Turn into the 2nd lot and drive to the back. The trail head is there.

If you want to hike up the trail a little and sleep there, flat places are not plentiful and it is rocky. But you could probably find a place. DO NOT hike this at night, as you will probably get lost.

Nick Gatel BPL Member
PostedMay 26, 2011 at 12:17 pm

The weather man is often incorrect but… predicted desert highs are now

Sat 85F
Sun 78F
Mon 86F

OR

Sat 93F
Sun 77F
Mon 89F

Depending on the source.

For Saturday, we are going to sweat a lot just from the elevation gain, and will be in the sun most of the day. But it will be cooler than the desert high temp.

For Saturday you might want to bring a sports drink instead of water to replenish lost minerals. To give you an idea, last week I hiked the first 11 miles of the trail and once I was done my nlyon shirt was as stiff a cardboard from the salt persperation.

Some people take salt tablets. But if you have never taken them, do not do so on this trip. Some people get sick to their stomach from tablets and you do not want to throw-up and dehydrate yourself. Many people do well with salt potato chips or tortilla chips.

PostedMay 26, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Temperatures look much better than expected (yeah, you can remind me of that Saturday/Monday! I'm sure I'll eat my words).

As per sports drinks: gatorade is best at a 1:1 ratio with water (yes, they intentionally make it too strong). Know your own body though – my stomach still can't handle that high a concentration for long hikes.

PostedMay 26, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Are we going to stop to cook lunches or eat them on the move and wait until dinner?
Just wondering how many cooked meals I should bring. If just gorp/jerkey/etc during the day then 4 cooked, if lunches cooked then 7.

Nick Gatel BPL Member
PostedMay 27, 2011 at 7:29 am

Are we going to stop to cook lunches or eat them on the move and wait until dinner?
Just wondering how many cooked meals I should bring. If just gorp/jerkey/etc during the day then 4 cooked, if lunches cooked then 7.



Most people usually don't stop and cook for lunch… but I have not problem if someone needs/wants to do it this way.

Here is what I am planing…

Sat = cook dinner
Sun = cook breakfast & dinner
Mon = cook breakfast

PostedMay 27, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I only cook dinners, but don't mind stopping for you to cook a lunch. I usually need an excuse to stop moving, and it sounds like this weekend should be strenuous enough for that to be a very good thing.

PostedMay 27, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I only cook dinner, but it does not matter to me if we stop to cook for lunch. I am heading that way in about 30 min, gonna stay near trailhead. I'll see you guys bright and early.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
Loading...