Topic

Where to buy tights?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Where to buy tights?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

Hey folks,

I've read that some of you hike in tights. I've never done that. What kind do you wear? Are they suitable for in-town wear? Or do they just look like long johns?

Thanks,
    Ken

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Some people that have a slim or normal figure like tights. They look like long johns except maybe they are a little sleaker, and there is no fly. There is a fashion statement.

There are some areas of town where you could wear those, but you would be mugged for sure.

–B.G.–

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

I'm sorry Ken were gonna have to revoke your man card for saying tights we have to refer them as jogging or biking pants lol rei has some fleece is nice there basically just longjohns but usally more durable

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Check the running stores. Many choices.

Ken K

@thefatboy

I'm just toying with the idea… I currently pack a set of light long johns for sleeping/layering. In an emergency, they can be worn under rain pants in place of a second pair of pants (I've just recently given up packing extra pants/shorts/shirts).

At 240 pounds, I'm not sure wearing tights is the wisest idea for me. Stuffing my tree trunks into fleece ti… er… biking pants would result in the "bad breakfast" look (muffin top on fuzzy sausages). Still, if I ever get back to a shape that is a little less "egg", maybe it's an option. In that case, I just wanted to get an idea of what's out there.

Thanks again,
    Ken

Zachary Zrull

@zackcentury

Locale: Great Lakes

I've never heard of this, why do people wear tights on the trail?

I think windpants would be a better option for several reasons: they can be more tightly woven and thus more water and wind resistant, they are more acceptable in town, and they can (for the same material) be more insulating. And if picky bushes or snagging is a problem, nylon, especially microfiber, can be more durable.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hey Zach, I wear patagonia cap 2 tights because it prevents chaffing, it part of my sleeping system (extra insulation), looks acceptable if layered under a pair of running shorts, more breathable than wind/rain pants. This is usually enough for me for 3 season use. I hike in running shorts, and don't bring pants. If its cold, the tights go under the running shorts. If it rains, they dry quickly enough. It's great when your running shorts are only a couple ounces, and your tights–which you use for sleep anyways–serve as your pants as well. It's very dual use, and the equivalent of bring pants without the weight penalty. That said, I can see the benefits of wind-pants as an additional layer for winter use. Did I mention tights are more aerodynamic? I get an extra 20 miles/day in easily with tights

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Most guys that wear tights on the trail (or for that fact, running in the neighborhood) wear a pair of shorts on top of them. I like CW-X compression tights – cuts down on muscle soreness.

Running shops will carry them, REI, backcountry.com, etc they are very common.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I forgot the old "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" movie:

We're men, we're men in tights.
    We roam around the forest looking for fights.
    We rob from the rich and give to the poor, that's right!
    We may look like sissies, but watch what you say or else we'll put out your lights!
    We're men, we're men in tights,
    Always on guard defending the people's rights.

[Dance number, chorus line style]

We're men, MANLY men, we're men in tights. Yeah!
    We roam around the forest looking for fights.
    We rob from the rich and give to the poor, that's right!
    We may look like pansies, but don't get us wrong or else we'll put out your lights.
    We're men, we're men in tights (TIGHT tights),
    Always on guard defending the people's rights.
    When you're in a fix just call for the men in tights!
    We're butch.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

> Stuffing my tree trunks into fleece ti… er… biking pants would result in the
    > "bad breakfast" look (muffin top on fuzzy sausages).

HA! Coffee out of the nose out of this one!

Anonymous
    Inactive

that Victoria's Secret offers a very stylish line on manly tights for those interested in backcountry haute couture. ;-)

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

i consider them a key ingredient of my cool/cold weather kit. they are very comfortable, shed rain/snow ok and breath great. i'll typically wear a pair of nylon gym shorts over them. if conditions worsen i just slip a pair of wind pants over them. the tights i hike in were made by patagonia years ago and sold as running tights. they have a drawstring waist and ankle zips. liberate yourself an join the legion of men wearing tights.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"i'll typically wear a pair of nylon gym shorts over them"

What you describe was the unofficial uniform of generations of Seattle Mountaineers. It's what I climbed in for years. I think the younger generation has gone a little upscale, but you still see crusty old farts stomping around in shorts over tights, usually polypro or Capilene, up in the Cascades.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Lululemon … Take the instore yoga class while yr at in and enjoy the scenery from the back row ;)

Ken K

@thefatboy

I typically wear some Starter DriStar compression shorts (poor mans Under Armour). With tights, do you skip the skivvies and just go commando?

Eric Thompson
    BPL Member

@er0ck

Locale: PNW

IMO, men should always always always wear shorts (or even pants) over their running/hiking tights. the only time i don't is when i'm biking, but i tend to also wear full bike pants or bike shorts over the tights which basically have a built-in diaper.

i typically only wear tights hiking if it's 40-50 temps and i'm on a day hike. on backpacking overnights or longer i don't wear tights. i'm not quite sure why. i think because they are heavy and don't pack down well.

they snag easy if you have to bushwhack or XC at all.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"IMO, men should always always always wear shorts (or even pants) over their running/hiking tights."

A UL purist would just wear a Pertex fig leaf.

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

Raceready makes excellent running shorts and tights (http://www.raceready.com/men/tights.html). The tights can even be obtained with a pocket, and do not require you to wear shorts over them. Note that these are intended for runners, but, unless you are doing bushwacking, should also be suitable for most hiking. Raceready products tend to cost a bit more than some of the competition, but, in my opinion, they wear signficantly better. In particular, liners in raceready shorts just do not wear out.
    Jim

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I am a cyclist and obviously wear cycling shorts and tights….with that said, you don't wanna see me wearing tights while hiking…..no thanks

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

that would be me. while i don't live in the pnw, i've made regular pilgrimages over the last 25-years. in the handful of times i've climbed rainier the hike from the parking lot to base camp has always been in tights and running shorts. with the exception of once, there's always been snow all the way to the parking lot at paradise. i wouldn't think of starting out in anything but tights and running shorts.

as far as what to wear under the tights, i typically wear under-armor heat gear compression shorts with the mesh front panel.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"i wouldn't think of starting out in anything but tights and running shorts."

You are hereby awarded the honorific of "Auxiliary Seattle Mountaineer", with all rights and privileges pertaining thereto. ;-)

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I'm no expert, but I've heard that a lot of former tight wearers have switched to wearing either:
    [warm weather]: long-long shorts, such as Under Armour mesh, 10" shorts or
    [cool weather]: soft shells, such as Pata-Gucci "Simple Guides" in a light color because of greater abrasion resistance and rain resistance. "Belay Pants" can be MontBell full-zip pants, in winter.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools