Topic

bivy use

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Purchased a REI bivy made with their “Element” liner, supposedly able to breathe…Three times I’ve used it and each time the inside of bivy is wet and the outer nylon of my bag is moist. So far I’ve stayed warm and cozy, but if I used the bivy and bag for several days in a row, and bundled it up in the morning, I think I’d have a soaked mess. Is there a right way to use the bivy to minimize the moisture buildup inside during the night. This bivy does have zippers, but they help keep out the wind. Any suggestions will be helpful. Outside temp. are 25-35F. Sleeping bag is thinsulate.

John McLuckie
    BPL Member

@j-mcluckie

Locale: SE Atlantic Coast

I am certainly not an expert, but there are some excellent articles on this web site which seem to explain the possibilities. From what I recall reading, the temperature differential causes condensation to form either on the inner layer of your bivy or the outer layer of your bag. I also seem to recall a suggestion of using vapor barrier liner or clothing to reduce perspiration outgassing.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools