Topic

AT Hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists AT Hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

So I have already posted a gear list here for an AT thru hike, but I have been offered a job for June and July, so my plans changed. I will be hiking from Fontama Dam to Waynesboro, VA from around May 10 to June 5. I plan to hike long days and have little down time. I'm trying to get my pack down to a minimal weight.

A couple of things. I have a cell phone and charger which adds a lot of weight, but not much of a choice cause my family wants to hear from me, and I will use it as a camera and digital journal as well. Toothpaste is a must. I'm from a family of dentists (who still pay my tuition) and they won't have me using just Dr. B. TP is my luxury. I realize I can go without, but over a longer hike like this, I'd prefer to have it. My clothes are not mentioned here, but are simply a Cap 1 SS, synthetic shorts, wrightsocks running socks, and trail runners. Some of my weights here may be off, but if off, I normally went too high to be safe. I have a headlamp for night hiking and also a photon light as a backup, I may drop the photon, but it currently hangs on a string around my neck.

I'm curious as to if there is something I can drop or if there are certain things I should take that I missed. Thanks for any input.

Shelter Oz
    Tarp 8.1
    Bivy 6
    8 Ti stakes 1.6
    Guys 0.5
    Total 16.2

Sleeping
    MYOG Quilt 13 like the JRB Stealth but synthetic so also my top insulation
    Thinlight 2.8 I will probably cut this down to torso size
    Med Pillow 0.6
    Total 16.4

Kitchen
    Heiny Pot 1
    Ti spoon 0.4
    Super Cat 0.2
    50' bear line 1.1
    1L Platy 0.8
    IL bottle 1.6
    Alcohol bottle 1
    Total 6.1

First Aid oz
    Ibuprofen
    Benadryl
    Bandage
    Alcohol Wipes
    Total 1.5

Carried Gear
    Dermasafe Knife 0.3
    Photon light 0.4
    Aquamira drops 2
    Featherlite poles w/tape 10
    Bandana 1.5
    Map/Schedule 1
    Total 15.2

Packed Clothes Oz
    Ninjaclava 1.8
    Wind Smock 4
    Spare socks 1
    Driduck Emergency poncho 3
    Total 9.8

Essentials
    Chapstick 1.2
    Headlamp 3
    Charger 3
    Debit/ID/Cash 1
    Toothbrush 0.5
    Toothpaste 1
    spare matches 0.5
    TP 1
    Cell Phone 4.1
    Dr. Bronner 1
    Total 16.3

Packing
    Food/bear bag 1
    Trash bag 1.2
    MYOG pack 8
    Stake bag 0.2
    Ditty bag 0.2
    Total 10.6

oz lb
    Base Weight 76.9 4.80625
    Gear weight 92.1 5.75625
    Pack Weight 276.9 17.30625 (5 days food, alcohol and 2L water)

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Right On! Nice list!

Can you post a photo of your 8 ounce MYOG pack??? (please)

M!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

All the dentists I've had recommend baking soda as a dentifrice, and that's what I use on backpacking trips. It's a lot lighter and far less messier than toothpaste, and has multiple uses (deodorant, paste for bites and stings, antacid, etc.)

What about dental floss? Equally important for dental health and another multiple use item in that it is good thread for mending things. Just take a needle with large enough eye (of course the needle is another multiple use item, for removing splinters).

Sky Horne

@simplyalpine

Locale: Vagabonding..

Might want to add Immodium to the first aid kit. Hand sanitizer is equally important as any water treatment(probably more so). It's no longer free, but on the ALDHA website you can find a digital companion. I rocked it on my thru-hike in '09 with no problems.

I don't know what your methods are like, but shelter hopping is a great way to save a little weight on the AT, especially if you're hiking long days. Same goes for going cold, but I don't recommend that. Other than that, Have Fun!

Sky Horne

@simplyalpine

Locale: Vagabonding..

@Mary: Thanx for the info on removing splinters! Oh, and add a little india ink and you got yourself a tattoo setup ;)

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Nice looking list, but lets see a picture of that pack!

Also, I'd be interesting in knowing what materials/pattern you used to make that quilt, it is crazy light

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

The Dr. Bronner is my source for washing my hands rather than hand sanitizer. I've read several people switch to just soap, including, I think, Mike. Floss and a needle would a great decision to bring along too, thanks for catching that. I have two different thru hiker's guides on the AT and will bring pages from that along the way. Immodium would be a good decision. My first aid kit normally is where I am missing things.

The pack and quilt are both in progress right now actually, so the weights are based off of my patterns. The pack is a Whisper type pack stripped down to the things that I actually use in a pack, made out of silnylon and 2.2oz ripstop. The dimensions are similar to that of the Whisper, so the weight should be around the same as well. The quilt's inspiration is from Bill Fornshell's past thread on a SUL synthetic quilt. It will be made from Apex 2.5 and either 1.1 oz nylon or a lighter form of silk, like Bill used. The most basic dimensions will be 70×48 and should remain under 13oz, even at that dimension, but I will probably taper the foot so save on volume and weight. Bill's quilt was even lighter and can be seen here

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=3932

The pack will hopefully be finished this week, and I will be sure to post pictures.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated as well.

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

For those of you who wanted details about the pack, I just finished it a couple of hours ago. The final weight of it is actually 3.8 oz. You can see more details and pictures of it here

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=45831

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools