Topic

Tenkara Pole Selection Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Tenkara Pole Selection Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Brett Bateman

@loggerz

I was interested in starting Tenkara but had some questions on the pole selection. I have gone fly fishing a couple of times and found that I much prefer the casting and feel of a slow action rod over that of even a medium, I had a very hard time casting anything but the slow action (not to mention all the little things that went with fly fishing). Would this play at all into selecting the Tenkara rod like a 5:5 or does it even matter? Also I am interested in using this on many of the fly only areas in the Sierras can someone suggest a length? I was looking at a 12ft but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the area.

Thank you very much in advance for the helpful replies,
    Brett

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

If you prefer slower rods, get a 5:5.

I find that the longer rod is most useful (cuz there are lakes and such!), but I have a short Tenkara rod (10') for streams with a lot of overhead limbs, etc. What sort of tree cover exists on the streams you fish? Let that direct you for length.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools