Apr 5, 2011 at 1:02 pm #1271745
Previously, I have sewn bug net into the front door area of a single-wall tarp/shelter, but I have never been completely satisfied with the results.
First, imagine a standard tarp shelter with an A-frame shape to its front door end. I would like to be able to add in either one flap or two overlapping flaps of bug net.
Second, in the event of heavy rain, I would like to have a flap of light fabric to extend across part or most of that entryway, just to keep out excess splash.
Then, of course it all has to open up easily for entry and exit.
Anybody have any good examples that I should look at?
–B.G.–Apr 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm #1720581
I've been thinking about this myself, Bob, but have yet to come up with a solution I'm happy with.
What, in your opinion, were the shortcomings of your previous efforts — why weren't you happy with results? Maybe understanding what doesn't work before I start will help me come up with something workable.
That's if no one else posts something brilliant first!Apr 5, 2011 at 5:23 pm #1720601
Starting about ten years ago, I had an Integral Designs SilShelter. First I sewed on about a six-inch skirt of bug net, and that worked good. I needed something around the front door opening, so I simply layed a large square of bug net over the front. It slid off, so I sewed some velcro onto one corner and that was a little better.
Starting a few years ago, I had a Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter. First I sewed on about a 4-inch skirt of bug net, and that worked good. Before I took it to Alaska, I sewed some bug net inside the front vestibule. That is in two triangular panels of bug net that overlap slightly and hold together and onto the main tent fabric with velcro. That works, and I removed it after leaving Alaska.
Now I am dealing with two new shelters. One is the HMG Echo 1 Prototype that was mentioned here a week or so ago. It is slightly more of a tarp. The other thing is a strictly MYOG tarp. So, neither of these has a vestibule, per se. These two new ones are slightly more open in the front, which is why I was interested in getting some kind of rain flap for bad weather. Each of these two might also need some rear bug net or rain flap also. Being weight conscious, I would not want to create bug nets that weigh more than an ounce or so, and similarly for a rain flap, not over an ounce.
–B.G.–Apr 7, 2011 at 8:52 pm #1721790
The next step:
As anybody tried anything like this? My thought is to add a triangular flap of clear plastic across the front, and it would keep storm rain out. It should be removable. Then there might be two overlapping triangular flaps of mosquito net. Also removable. Probably one small piece of net across the rear opening also.
I have some clear plastic that is not heavy, yet the wind won't whip it around. It would be the ultralighter's version of a picture window.
–B.G.–Apr 8, 2011 at 1:52 am #1721838
This probably might be to 'heavy' of a solution. I picked up a single skin tent for £12.99 this week, couldn't resist at that price, and they have a bug net and a waterproof door at the front as it isn't shielded.
It's close via a double zip. It is two separate zips coming off of one piece of zip fabric. That way you can choose if you want the net of the waterproof door closed. I hope that is as clear as mud.Apr 8, 2011 at 1:52 am #1721840
Repost, sorry.Apr 8, 2011 at 2:52 am #1721843
James MarcoBPL Member
@jamesdmarcoLocale: Finger Lakes
Looks good. Unless you use cuben, I don't think you are going to be less than an ounce, though. Even at 3' high and 3' wide, this comes out to a half yard. Plus stitching, hemming, seaming and a tie off ribbon and any overlap… Velcro if you were going to try that stuff.
I have had poor results with velcro. It worked fine for 2-3 times out then it didn't want to grab. I took a comb and cleaned it out and it was fine again. MUCH worse than any zipper. It just picks up all sorts of stuff and generally is painfull to crawl around. It likes to reach out and grab my hair.
I would bite the bullet and plan on 2oz finished with 1.3oz silnylon. 'Corse, it doesn't need to be water tight for a door. Spinnaker might be better, now that I am thinking about it.
A smaller beak will work to help deflect any rain, but it won't help that much with splashing.Apr 8, 2011 at 11:36 am #1722026
"I would bite the bullet and plan on 2oz finished with 1.3oz silnylon."
Too heavy. About 1 ounce of clear plastic should make a rain guard, and about 1/2 ounce of net should do the netting. Velcro has worked for me in the past. If the net is in place, then it can support the plastic. Part of the hassle is in sizing it one way for a low pitch and also sizing it for a high pitch.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.