Apr 3, 2011 at 12:21 pm #1271639
Warning only for the extreme ultralight backpacker
1) shave all hair including armpits, pubics areas, toe hair, nose hair, and eyebrows
2) go barefoot
3) leave the underwear at home
4) use a lighter as a flashlight
-Nix: lighter- hike while sun is up- courtesy of Jeff
5) use the toilet before hitting the road
6) leave the shelter at home, build one on the trail instead
7) use a disposable water bottle instead of your Nalgene
-Nix: water bottle- drink from stream (not carrying drops anyway, right)- courtesy of Jeff
8) ditch the spork, use a paper clip instead
-Nix: paper clip- pour food into mouth- courtesy of Jeff
9) brush your teeth with your fingers
10) use a fire instead of a sleeping bag
11) dont use a backpack, get one of those reusable shopping bags instead
12) stick to the trail, you wont need a compass or a map
13) find a walking stick on the trail, dont bring your own
14) dont bring any spare change or bills, take only your credit card instead
-Nix: credit card- what you gonna charge in the woods?- courtesy of Jeff
15) you dont need a water filter, use your bandana to filter and pot to boil
-Nix: pot- eat cold food out of Sun Chip bag (I know you have one)- courtesy of Jeff
16) use a power drill to drill out all unnessesary material in your gear
17) use leaves as toilet paper
18) for anything metal, use only aluminum gear, titanum and steel are more dense
19) shave a twig into a sewing needle or use a thorn
20) trim your toenails
21) First aid- just bring some bandaids, neosporin, and some diarrhea pills
22) NO electronics
23) learn to make fire from friction
Other ideas: have appendectomy and tonsillectomy, and lobotomy, and castration/ hysterectomy, donate a kidney.- courtesy of JeffApr 3, 2011 at 12:30 pm #1719341
Nix: lighter- hike while sun is up
Nix: water bottle- drink from stream (not carrying drops anyway, right)
Nix: paper clip- pour food into mouth
Nix: credit card- what you gonna charge in the woods?
Nix: pot- eat cold food out of Sun Chip bag (I know you have one)
Other ideas: have appendectomy and tonsillectomy, and lobotomy, and castration/ hysterectomy, donate a kidney.
With a little tweaking of your list, you're well on your wayApr 3, 2011 at 12:33 pm #1719342
Lol thanks for the tips!Apr 3, 2011 at 2:12 pm #1719381
@daviddrakeLocale: North Idaho
+1 trim your toenails. Think about it: clippings from all ten toes might equal a gram. Because 1# off the feet is like 5# off the back, that's like 5 grams off pack weight. And that's almost a quarter of an ounce!
Also, your socks will last longer.Apr 3, 2011 at 2:48 pm #1719394
@hikinggrannyLocale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Have all your teeth pulled. Advantages: less weight, no brushing needed, no worry about toothaches on the trail. Disadvantages: You are pretty much limited to soup and baby food.
Take it from one who had four kids back in the days when hair was always shaved for the event–pubic hair itches like crazy when growing back in!Apr 3, 2011 at 3:32 pm #1719424
Yeah, good point on the teeth pulled idea- I have many fillings and a gold crown… HEAVY!
Soup and baby food- no cook! Save a lot of weight there.
Maybe I can use my contacts as a cup/ bowl. -2.5oz right there! Yesss
As for the other comment… uh, no comment. :)Apr 3, 2011 at 4:31 pm #1719450
@pepelpLocale: New Mexico
Clothes just weigh you down.Apr 3, 2011 at 5:14 pm #1719467
@funnymoLocale: Sunshine State
With such a minimal setup, how many fingers and other appendages does one need?
Start slicin' & dicin'. I say cut off anything above the knees that sticks out.
:o !!!!!!Apr 3, 2011 at 5:51 pm #1719494
Bahaha this just made my day thanks guysApr 3, 2011 at 9:16 pm #1719606
@thefatboyLocale: St. Louis
>> Start slicin' & dicin'. I say cut off anything above the knees that sticks out.
Well I guess that all depends on what climate you're hiking in… I guess I'm fine with this suggestion in winter, but, uh… Summer? No.Apr 4, 2011 at 6:53 pm #1720066
Don't clip those toenails! They'll make a fine dinner the second night out (and, for a special delicacy, save the castration until your last night's dinner).Apr 4, 2011 at 9:01 pm #1720138
@er1kksenLocale: The Western Door
The scary part is perusing this list and realizing that I am guilty of more of these than I have fingers on each hand.Apr 4, 2011 at 9:59 pm #1720159
@simauliusLocale: Bohemian Alps
"About Backpacking Light
Backpacking Light is the world's most passionate membership-based community of people who like to travel with a light pack through the wilderness and beyond.
If you want to radically change how you enjoy backcountry travel, dramatically improve your skills and gear knowledge, and learn from and engage with others who are as passionate as you, JOIN NOW."
It's midnight and I'm laughing so hard that I really can't see to type.
What a passionate community from beyond!Apr 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm #1720162
@jasongLocale: iceberg lake
well boys ill share my technique for me 4.6583 nanogram SUL set up. ALL i take is…. THE FORCE. went up to Lucas ranch and georgy introduced me to Yoda.. I studied 3.5 years under him and now i am free of all those meaningless grams you all lug around on your trips. but wait… where do the 4.6583 nanograms come from you ask. yes, the force is a tangible entity!! and mine is yes 4.6583ng's! vader was pretty impressed.. (his was only 3.9934ng's… its kinda like c*ck size for you normal gram counters..)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.