Topic

3 Season List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 3 Season List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

Hey everybody, I finally got a scale today and I got my gear list ironed out.

I will be hiking primarily in southern California (think Angeles, San Bernardino, Joshua Tree NP), with a couple of trips to the Sierras thrown in. Most of the trips will be over-nighters, the Sierras will be 3-5 days.

Any things I need things I don't general advice? Criticism welcome!

Notes: I put this together on a budget, looking for sales and looking for a versatile list that I would be comfortable in rainy weather. Soon I will be supplementing this list with a poncho tarp for over-nighters instead of the Trailstar when the weather looks good. I am debating on getting a rain skirt from ULA or Z packs, but I am not sure I need it.

I also need to get bug deterrent figured out. I hate DEET, and would rather deal with a few bites, so I think I will just find a good head net.

3 Season Gear List

Scott Pulver
    Spectator

@scottp77

Looks good so far!

A few cheap ways to drop a bit of weight are:

1.13oz for an 8oz capacity fuel bottle…..Find a lighter fuel bottle, an 8oz arrowhead water bottle weighs .5 oz

Trade in those aluminum stakes for Ti stakes.

2 mil compacter bag 3.35 oz…….Most trash compacter bags I use weigh in at 1-1.5 oz. See if you can find a lighter one, or trim down to just fit items like quilt and clothes.

If you don't plan on actually hiking in the dark, you could switch to a petzl e-lite, or key chain light.

Switching from fire steel to miny bic could save you a bit over .5 oz

You have fleece lined wool beanie in carried and worn. I assume you aren't actually taking two. You could switch to a lighter fleece beanie and save an ounce or so.

There are lighter alcohol stoves to save an ounce or more.

Just a few ideas, hope they could help :)

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Hey Scott, thanks for taking the time!

All fantastic suggestions, and most of them won't cost me that much money. The new fuel bottle, coMPACTOR (not contractor, stupid me) bags and lighter beanie will be quick and easy adds. The Ti-Stakes and E-Lite have been on my "to buy" list for a while, I will be picking them up as I can.
    Ha, you know what, I need to get over the fire steel fetish. Even right now I was trying to think of ways to justify it. I'll pick up a mini bic tomarrow.
    As for the stove, I have been researching this. I was trying to find a good center burn stove that works well with small diamter pots. I was getting much faster boils off of less fuel with my GSI kettle, but the thing was twice as heavy as my 700 ml ti pot.

Thanks again,
    Rob V.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Under 10 pounds base weight is awesome!
    ====================================

Crap Aluminum Stakes + Stuff Sack 5.78 —- NIX the stuff sack. No need.

MLD Trailstar + Guys + Stuff Sack 19.82 —- NIX the stuff sack. No need.

TiGoat Raven Omni Bivy + Stuff Sack 8.71 —- NIX the stuff sack. No need.

Pack Golite Jam Large 2010 Chopped Up 27.62 —- C'mon, chop more off, you can nix a few more OZ easy!

Liner 2 Mil Contractor Trash Bag 3.35 — 2.2 oz max for a comPACTor bag

Nylon Stuff Sack 0.63

I know this is nit-picky, but there are lighter stuff sacks for food.

Tiny Scrap o' Sponge 0.18 — Nix, you'll be fine without it. A sponge gets gross after a few days anyway. Use your finger tips.

For my bung hole. Non Negotiable. 0.46

Easily nix'd. Just sayn'

Stuff Sack For clothes 0.63

easily nixed. You have the Compactor Bag.

BD Spot 3.25

Replace with a lighter option. A petzl e+lite is under an oz.

You wrote about your keys and ID. "I'm not comfortable with stashing"

I feel that if you REALLY wanted to hide them, you could do it just fine, and perfectly safely. This isn't a big deal, the weight is under an oz, but with a little forethought, they would be well hidden. Just sayin'

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Hey Mike!, great insights, as usual!
    Stuff sacks are going into the "storage bin" tomorrow. I was telling myself that I wanted to stay organized, but anyone that knows me knows that is BS.

There is some more trimming to be done on the Jam. I still haven't cut down the waist belt straps to size, and I have both hip belt pockets. I have been really hesitant to whack them off until I do a couple of more trips, and really decide they are useless. So far I just use one to hold my Aqua Mira bottles. I have removed the foam, cut out the hydration bladder sleeve, the tags, and the rest of straps are trimmed down to a better size.

Trash bags will be swapped out for lighter option.

The sponge was pulling double duty as a silencer for my Pot (it rattles around a bit) but I could find something else.

The TP is staying. I am open to the natural option, but it will take some test runs with TP along as a "plan b" before I will be confident in leaving it at home. (I cant believe you have me considering it. I thought you were nuts when I first started reading your posts.)

Clothes stuff sack is gone, probably going to be replaced by a mosquito net.

The e-lite is on my shopping list, as soon as I can squirrel the money away.

The key… I'll give it a test run, but I can get pretty neurotic about stuff. If I am going to worry about it the whole time, it's worth the weight.

Thanks for taking the time, and helping me out Mike! Looking forward to the book!

-Rob V.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

We carry lots of stuff, yet we don't need real stuff sacks for most of it. If you have just a few items that should not get lost, try a produce bag from the store. 2 grams each. I'm still trying to figure out how to get a cinch cord on them.

–B.G.–

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Reply to Bob:
    ===========

I've put a cord on a few mesh bags! It was easy!

I took very thin string, and slid it thru the tiny holes by slipping it thru a little safty pin first (or a cotter pin, or a hair pin) it was easy! I just wove it back and forth thru the mesh.

I just tie the cord in a shoe lace knot, because I used such tiny cord that I would have to search out a super tiny cord lock.

I haven't weighed it yet, but it's skimpy.

– also –

I melted the other end of the mesh bag, creating more volume for the same weight as a clunky knot.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Maybe there is a misunderstanding. Mesh produce bags are not what I mentioned. I mentioned produce bags. Those are the almost clear plastic bags for green peppers at the grocery store. They are lighter than grocery store grocery bags. I don't know that you can find a mesh bag at 2 grams.

I've made my own stuff sacks out of mosquito net.

–B.G.–

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Oh THAT kind of produce bag.

I thought you were refering to the plastic mesh bags that oranges come in.

The 2 g plastic bags can be tied with a loose overhand knot.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools