Topic

The North Face Propel Loft

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The North Face Propel Loft

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Please post the double layer loft and if it is fairly equally distributed throughout the bag?

Also I would like to read your summary warmth impression of this bag. Please specify if it is the pre ’06 model or the current model.

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Hi Richard-

We’re testing the ’06 model (with the zippered footbox) right now and will be publishing a full review in the Spring.

I own an earlier model. Its double layer loft is approximately 2″ (1″ single layer). The insulation is very evenly distributed due to their welded construction.

Sorry, but I don’t want to spill too many other observations about the bag right now with a full review pending. I will say that based on field experience, loft measurements, and bag construction, I think their 40 degree rating is overly optimistic.

Cheers,

-Mike

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Mike-Thank you for the prompt response.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Richard,

Based on how TNF rates their synthetic bags vs. the tested EN 13537 Lower Limits, I would guess that the Propel is more of a 50F bag. What do your numbers say for 1″ of Delta loft?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

I did a fairly detailed analysis for one of the BPL forum subscribers. His ensemble included wearing long underwear, a Cocoon top/bottom, an insulated hat, using a Nitelight pad, and a bivy. The combination came out to a 42F for a Comfort Limit temp.

I didn’t analyze the bag by itself so as to not infringe on the Propel report M. Martin is going to publish in the spring.

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

>> I didn’t analyze the bag by itself so as to not infringe on the Propel report M. Martin is going to publish in the spring.

Thanks, Richard — very thoughtful of you.

But…

It’s not my intention to stifle a good exchange of information on these forums. I encourage you or anyone else to post their observations. Besides, our policy is not to provide temperature ratings in our bag reviews. So, any forum discussion on the subject will supplement the review.

btw, thank you for your forum contributions. Your various heat loss posts are an asset to BPL.

Best Regards,

-Mike Martin

Sebastian Ventris

@sabme

Locale: SW UK

Hi

I’ve owned an 05 Propel for ages. In summer it’s fine on it’s own. 2 season is ok wearing base layers & in bivy. Winter I had a Rab Top Bag inside, fleece base layers, hat and balaclave, in my bivy and was fine.

To be more specific my Winter example was at 0 degrees Celsius = 32 F, out of the wind, under pine trees and on a GossamerGear ThinLight 3/8″ plus BMW TorsoLite.

I’m guessing you guys mean 2 layers for lying the bag over you and not getting in. Can’t say I’ve ever tried that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools