Topic

My current list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My current list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brian Hyatt

@hyatt-briangmail-com

Locale: OKC

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=3033

Several items I will add when I get a scale. T shirt and long sleeve is plain wally world shirt plus the wipes and toothbrush/paste will be added. I don't have a tent or first aid kit or water purification. Water storage is a couple 32oz powerade bottles.

I feel pretty good about the weight being a new guy and all but we're about getting even lighter.

I'm currently researching shelters so any direction there is needed(see tent advice in the gear section). Aqua Mira seems to be the choice in purification. Is there a first aid kit thats worth buying or should i just stick with my basic bandaids and moleskin?

I do know there are terribly lighter options. I'll work on procuring that which I do not have with a BPL member's focus with replacements coming later. Every suggestion is deeply appreciated.

So far I'm good down to about 35 degrees.

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

Well, theres not much on that list so far, but here are some things you could do to lower your weight right now. alot of it also depends on how much your willing to spend, or if you are on a budget.

beanie – Is that beanie really 5 ounces? If so, any simple fleece beaning Ive used weighs in around 1oz.
    weight savings – 4oz

jetboil – those jetboils are nice, but do you really need it? Use an alcohol can stove, small titanium mug (or heineken can if you are on a budget) paired with a windscreen.
    weight savings – 17oz

pack- that pack is a bohemoth. If you plan on going ultralight, or even lightweight for that matter, you wont need all that room. get something like the Granite gear virga, still plenty of room, and about 3 lbs lighter.
    weight savings – 46oz

pack cover – 7oz pack cover? use a trash compacter bag that weighs like 2oz
    weight savings – 5oz

sleeping bag – this is were the expense can come in if you want to change this. you could pick up a cheap campmor down bag and save about 10-11oz, or just spend a little more and get something like the SD nitro 30, and save 20oz.
    weight savings – 20oz

so just using those suggestions would save you over 5lbs, and not cost too much.
    A ton of stuff is missing from that list though

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

1) the pack has gotta go

2) GET A SCALE!

============================

66 oz for a pack? Uggh! No more than 17 oz or so is plenty!

My suggestion is a GG – G4 ultralight
    LINK
    http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpacks/g4-ultralight-backpack-63.html

NIX the 7 oz pack cover and replace with a 2.2 oz hefty trash compactor LINE for FULL waterproofness.

47 oz for a sleeping bag? You could cut that number in half easy.

JetBoil could be replaced with an alcohol cat food can stove, and you'll save the weight of the canister and the big mechanism.

– Your list doesn't show a lot of items, toiletries, maps, first aid, repair, etc, these need to be listed as part of your list…

Brian Hyatt

@hyatt-briangmail-com

Yeah I was pretty proud of my pack until I found you guys.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Where is your shelter?

Also, have you slept in your Slumberjack down to 40F? Do you find the rating accurate? If you haven't, my impression is that Slumberjack ratings are generally "optimistic".

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, I agree with Mike C about the pack and start weighing things.
    I think I would concentrate on the so called big three for now. I will assume you want to go solo for a weekend. Your list is very incomplete, but a good starter.
    1) A GG G4 is a good choice for light weight. Large enough for a weekend for just about anything. I use a Miniposa, no longer offered. Lighter, and a bit smaller. Also, less durable. (I have patched it several times, now.) Along with that, goes a NightLite pad. This serves as a sleeping pad, sitpad, chair(back is propped against a tree and the rest is under your legs), it's waterproof and light at about 6oz. Get the full 3/4 inch version and cut it down, adding tape at the seams to hold it together. This is a good example of two systems working together. Your pack benefits from the additional support from a frame of the pad. The pad and backpack make a good pad and ground cloth for your sleeping system. (Both are pretty water proof with a garbage bag inside the pack.)
    2) Your bag can go. Way too heavy for what it is. But, this will cost lots of dollars. Shoot for around 16-22oz…sort'a depends on the featur es and durability.
    3) Your shelter, for a fully enclosed one, will weigh about 14-16oz. All you need is a good tarp with a piece of netting (another 4-5oz.) Not cuben, but not at a cuben price, either.
    Just make sure to pick a small mound when setting up with your pole. For one or two nights, this is good enough except for 48 hours of pouring rain. Rolled up tightly, this also adds structure to the pack.
    4) Pot, alky stove and spoon along with a small pocket knife will be quite light. About 8oz total.
    5) First aid kits are pretty easy. An 8' piece of duct tape will do it.
    I make this total at somewhere around 75oz or 4#11.
    This is a good start, but, I will note that it also requires all new gear.

Brian Hyatt

@hyatt-briangmail-com

Well if you actually read my post I said I don't have a shelter yet. That's my main concern right now and my entry product into getting light. I've just sheltered with a friend in his tent.

As far as the Slumberjack I've been down to 35 degrees. I did sleep in clothes and stayed warm enough. I'm also one who is a bit hot natured so take it as you will.

Brian Hyatt

@hyatt-briangmail-com

Thanks Mr. Marco. I didn't list a lot of things because I felt it unnecessary to list if I didn't have the weights.

I really appreciate you and your suggestions Mr. Marco.

I plan on hiking with my soon to be wife or with a few good friends. I doubt many solo adventures will happen as I enjoy the company. I get plenty alone time when I'm sitting in a tree with a bow in my hands…

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Brian, MR. MARCO????? How did my father get involved?? (joke)

Yeah. Taking the wife out will add a bit to the cook kit and shelter.

I think I would drop the bug net and go with a fully enclosed screen tent. Similar to the http://www.sixmoondesigns.com (Haven 2011 net tent, ~14oz.) A larger tarp will be needed also, say a 10×12 for about 18oz or so… (I use a Golite Nest-2 and a slightly larger tarp at 9×11, but these are no longer available.) The separate pieces make it easy to drop the net portion, when it isn't needed. Or, drop the net portion for cooking in rain storms hooking
    it back for sleeping, it doubles as a ground cloth, sit space, also.

I would look into the new stove Soto's Muka stove. It promises high efficiency, and seems to have a good simmer, according to Jerry (from http://www.backpackgeartest.org), no reviews yet, though. 13oz is a good weight for a dual fuel stove. A larger pot, two cups and a couple spoons are really all you need for two people. Cooking for two burns a lot of fuel, so a WG stove starts looking real good for shared meals on week long excursions.

If you can, get a matching, opposite hand zip, bag for your wife. Zipping together will add 10F to the temp rating. Many cannot tolerate the close quarters, though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools