Topic

New Mexico in early may

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips New Mexico in early may

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ronald Groth
    BPL Member

@rgfooter

Locale: Wisconsin

I am looking to visit gila national forest in may for a week of hiking. What are the weather conditions normally like? Anyone have trip suggestions? thanks ron

Mark Olah

@gorgar3141

Locale: New Mexico

It has been a warm dry winter/spring down here. Expect a fire ban around that time. Fire related forest closures are not common but can happen, so have a backup plan. Since it is a low snow year, my guess is that the Mogollon baldy trail #182 will be mainly snow free by early/mid May (although last year there was snow till June). Consider starting on the Catwalk trail out of Glenwood and following Whitewater creek to Hummingbird Saddle, and on to Mogollon baldy which will take 2-3 days depending on your pace. From there, there are many loops to be made. But avoid trail #102 over turkeyfeather mountain, it was obliterated by deadfall from a recent fire and looked very bad last year from a distance. Option 2: make a loop on the middle and west forks of the Gila starting out of the Gila Cliff dwellings national monument. You can hit the hot springs on the middle fork, and make any number of grand loops if you have a full week.

Also, for any of the routes along a creek there will be sometimes a dozen stream crossings per mile. Bring some well draining shoes.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

It's pretty dry south of Albuquerque and even to the north up to Durango, the lower elevations are dry while the higher elevations had enough snow to extend some ski seasons. Strange pattern.

Ronald Groth
    BPL Member

@rgfooter

Locale: Wisconsin

thanks for the ideas, i have ordered maps so I will check out the routes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools