Topic

Stream crossings with low-rise trail runners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Stream crossings with low-rise trail runners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Before I went to Alaska last summer, I read lots of backcountry advice from Denali National Park. About stream crossing, they warned that the water there is extremely cold, and sometimes the stream bed has sharp rocks. As a result, they warned never to cross barefooted. I heeded that advice and constructed some SUL water boots out of plastic bags. However, if you go to normal places where the water isn't that cold, and if the rocks are water-smoothed, then it is no big deal.

Just last weekend I was hiking through a cave with a couple of guys, and the cave had its own stream. The water was anywhere from ankle-deep to knee-deep. One guy had dedicated water shoes. The other two of us just wore our regular low-cut trail boots and socks. However, when we got to our car a couple of hours later, we had dry shoes and socks to change into.

–B.G.–

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

David

"I do the unimaginable and cross the stream in my bare feet. Then put on dry socks."

When you're out on the trail for days and it's just wet everywhere; heaven high and hell deep, and there's no way your shoes are staying dry once you get moving… Do you find you are successful drying them out overnight. Like by bringing them into the bag……. shoe fetish! or whatever…or do they just stay wet?

The last time I got caught out in a 4 day northern cascade rain mine stayed wet BUT I hadn't heard about the technique of sleeping with them. I know putting on the thick dry pair of heavy-weight smartwool socks I kept carefully stored was the treat of the day!

Just curious.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

If it is wet out,
    and your shoes are going to get wet,
    day after day,
    why bother to dry them out?

If they will dry on the trail, OK.

Either way, put them on, and hike.
    Done.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Wet feet mean nothing in regard to blisters, if anything a slight inconvenience if temperatures start to approach the freezing mark.

What will get you is fine river soot and pebbles that weasel their way through the mesh uppers and into your socks, if left unaddressed while hiking you may find yourself being rubbed raw with a slew of grit and moisture. I'd be more concerned about this than blisters.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Just get your feet wet. The time it takes to pull your shoes off and put them back on is too much. Plus, if there is one stream, there will probably soon be another.

Hiking with wet shoes is fine.

I wear the thinest shorty socks (all acrylic) and my feet dry fast.

Thanks to John (below)
    another link, more book focused:
    http://ultralightbackpackintips.blogspot.com/

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

You could also bring a pair of crocs. I do that sometimes. I actually enjoy hiking in crocs and have done entire day hikes wearing them. It's scoffable for the Ultralight crowd, but depending on the hike, they can be a blessing.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools