Topic

Federal Government Shutdown Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Federal Government Shutdown Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I'm a DC-based federal government employee and likely to be one of those locked out if the government really does shut down on April 8 (unlikely but possible). If this happens, I'm going to hit the AT south of SNP and hike southbound until the federal government reopens. I'd rather hike through VA and TN/NC than MD and PA — and the odds of the government being shut down over a week are remote anyways. But heck, if it is anything like 95/96 I could actually get a a bonus few weeks on the trail. The point would be to not buy anything special, so I have to take from my own gear closet.

Will I be okay with the below arrangement? Should I add or skip anything here?

Worn/Held: Salomon Speed Cross 2 trail runners, Smartwool light cushion socks, Icebreaker 150 long-sleeve merino, REI eVent Airflyte jacket, Mountain Hardware elKommando kilt, , OR GTX boonie hat, BPL Carbonfiber poles; windproof gloves, camera

Basic Gear/Shelter:
    MLD Burn Backpack 10 oz.
    MLD Duomid – Cuben 12 oz.
    -8 titanium stakes, pole extender, stuff sack 4 oz.
    Small Titanium Pot/Alcohol fuel+stove/Caldera Cone 6 oz.
    Steripen Adventurer Opti w/batteries 3.5 oz.
    Black Diamond Head Lamp 2.5 oz.
    Medical Supplies/Hygiene/Knife/Rope/Stakes 7 oz.
    Collapsible Nalgene Canteens (2) 4 oz.
    *13 L Granite Gear Uberlight Cuben Drysack 1 oz.
    Silnylon Pack Cover 3 oz.

Sleep System/Packed Clothing:
    Marmot Hydrogen 21 oz.
    Gossamer Gear Nightlight 9 oz.
    MLD Superlight bivy (full net hood) 6 oz.
    Patagonia Nanopuff – Small 9 oz.
    Smartwool Midweight long-sleeve 7 oz.
    Icebreaker 260 leggings 6 oz.
    Icebreaker merino extra socks (2) 5 oz.
    Feathered Friends Down Booties 6 oz.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I would guess you could drop the bivy and booties.

Consider replacing the pack cover with a pack liner.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Good call, Andy. I assume I won't be on the trail long enough for the bugs to be out in force (which I'd want the bivy for, particularly if I stayed in a shelter).

The booties would sound so good after a day of walking in the cold rain . . . but I guess they aren't fully needed in April.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"but I guess they aren't fully needed in April"

Needed, schmeeded! Keep the booties dude!

And if you're sure you're sleeping in shelters you might not need the bivy, but if you're sleeping on the ground around the leaves and such, aren't ticks out now?

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Maybe I missed it on your list, but you might need a firestarter of some sort (at least to get the alcohol stove ignited).

If the windproof gloves are shell only, light wool or fleece liner gloves would be on my list — but then I don't know what the "lows" might be where you're going. It looks like you're expecting something "cool" since you have some insulated clothing items and wool base layers.

Also — Compass and map? Pen and paper? Food protection — hanging or other?

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

6 ounces. Ticks. Take it! :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools