Topic

Bivy on summit?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

On the very first time that I did Whitney, I was leaving the summit and starting down around 4 p.m. There was a Sequoia National Park ranger coming up the trail who stopped me to check my permit. He said that he was headed up to the summit to chase off anybody who looked like they intended to stay on the summit overnight. There have been too many people killed from lightning up there.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"a summit is not really a place a climber wants to spend the night unless he has to. descents are often tricky, so escape from bad weather can be an issue."

+1 big time!! OTOH, there are summits and, then, there are SUMMITS…..

Sleep your own sleep but remember, bivvying is optional, waking up is mandatory. Usually.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I would not even consider trying to spend a night on the Whitney summit, due to the risk of lightning. I know that it does not have much lightning during the night, but I like to avoid becoming a crispy critter statistic.

Now, if I went down 500' or 1000' vertically, there would not be so much risk. I could still dash back up to the summit if I needed to make a special photograph. That's a pretty bad pile of boulders up there, and there is a vicious marmot snarling from behind each rock.

–B.G.–

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools