Topic

Solo 3-Season List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Solo 3-Season List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Corey Downing
    BPL Member

@hardcorey

Locale: Denver

I'm looking for some advice on reducing my weight in my solo 3-Season list. While most of my trips are with my girlfriend, the main changes are in the shelter department. Most of my trips are in Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina but we try and go out of our way for a longer trip somewhere else in the country (this year is Isle Royale).

I've begun experimenting with gatorate bottles instead of my hydration bladder. I've been dehydrated backpacking before and it's not an experience I want to relive.

Here's the link: Corey's 3-Season Gear List

The yellow fields are ones that I have not personally weighed on my scale. If a weight is listed, it is based on the manufacturer's listed weight. I hope to have missing weights + convert all weights to grams in the next month or so.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I like to carry a whistle, small button-sized compass, firesteel, coin cell LED light, and knife on-person in case of pack loss.

You can probably get by with a lighter quilt for 30F and above?

Can you trim some weight from the Ohm? I removed the frame, hip belt, and sternum strap of my 24 oz GG Gorilla without any permanent changes, resulting in a 16.7 oz pack. With a lower pack weight, I actually like the fit better without a frame and hip belt.

Even lighter than a Gatorade bottle: A 1 liter Platypus is 0.9 oz. The 1 liter carbonated/fruit-flavored water bottles from Target are 1.2 oz.

Don't forget the sunglasses until the trees leaf out.

A head net is nice, even when using repellent. Gnats like to fly into eyes, ears, and nose.

Corey Downing
    BPL Member

@hardcorey

I typically use the same quilt down into the 20s. I think I'll get yelled at if I buy another quilt.

There's not much I can remove from my Ohm. I'd like a smaller, frameless pack for my short trips but again I might get in some trouble.

I didn't know a 1L platypus was that light. I might consider that.

I usually have my cheapo sunglasses at about an ounce or so. I'm working on getting new Rx ones that I can use for backpacking.

I really don't think I'd like a headnet.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

This is the design which is 0.9 oz (with the "closure cap"). There's a similar 2 liter one which is 1.3 oz.

http://cascadedesigns.com/images/product/medium/SoftBottle_7_.jpg

Corey Downing
    BPL Member

@hardcorey

Also realized that I don't need my 2L bladder on solo trips if I'm bringing my gravity filter.

Corey Downing
    BPL Member

@hardcorey

Is there anything I could obtain at REI to lighten my load? I've got the 20% off coupon and my dividend to spend and I'm having difficulty coming up with anything legitimate to purchase other than goretex socks or those black diamond ultra distance poles.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Corey:

I highly recommend that you do your gear selection without handicapping or limiting yourself to what any one store carries. AFTER you are satisfied with your gear choices, you can then shop around for the best price.

To me, REI "dividends" is still real money. If REI has the best price for a particular gear piece, that buy it from REI by all means. Otherwise, it is nonsensical to pay a higher price at REI just so you can use your dividends. Why? Because un-used dividends will be paid out to you in cash (in July I believe but don't remember for sure). Treat it as REAL MONEY.

Corey Downing
    BPL Member

@hardcorey

I'm just pointing out REI because I have the 20% off coupon and my dividend. They have a couple things I'm interested in but nothing particularly pricey (such as GoreTex socks). I am merely seeing if there is an item available there that is reasonably priced given the 20% coupon code.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

YES! Indeed, the 20% off coupon. But going back to what I wrote above, once you've decided on your gear pieces regardless of who carries them — then shop for the best price. The 20% off coupon should give REI a leg up — but you might be surprised — esp. when you factor in state sales tax that some sellers (like REI, depending on state) need to charge — while other online retailers don't.

Corey Downing
    BPL Member

@hardcorey

No sales tax for REI in Ohio… closest REI is 4 hours away for me.

Anyways, this is getting off topic. Where's the people telling me that I shouldn't take a lighter because rubbing two sticks together will save me half an ounce?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I am so jealous!!

Anyway, whatever item(s) you're looking for — comparison shopping is just a google click away. Have fun!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools