Topic

Paint on aluminim cans: benign when heated/burnt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Paint on aluminim cans: benign when heated/burnt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

Given that aluminium cans/bottles are meant to recycled (heated and melted down) , does this mean the paints/dyes on the outside are benign when heated burnt, eg used in an alcohol/wood stove?

Or should the printing be scrubbed off with a brillo pad (wire wool)?

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

I'm not a Doctor but I would guess since the paint is on the outside of the can it won't get in your food. You should aviod breathing the fumes from your camp stove, paint or no paint.

I think aluminium is bad in general. If you are worried about it you should switch to an inert metal pot like titanium or stainless steel. My personel opinoin. I aviod aluminium at home too, including deorderant, bottles, pots….. though sometimes I drink beer from cans. Just get a Ti pot.

uuuug, I know stainless steel is not an inert metal, you know what I mean.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I was under the assumption that aluminum was ok. Even in deodorant, I've heard those "toxin studies" have basically been disproven.

If anything, it would be the lining of aluminum beer and soup cans that would give me pause if I were to use it as a pot.

But, I could always be wrong!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I've heard those "toxin studies" have basically been disproven.
    Correct. Read Snopes.

> it would be the lining of aluminum beer and soup cans that would give me pause if I
    > were to use it as a pot.
    Fair comment, especially for drink cans which are not specified to take heat.

The printing may be a dye absorbed into the oxide coating, or it may be an actual paint. Dunno. Cleaning down sounds reliable.

Cheers

al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

the foil is so thin, removing the printing seemed rather difficult and weaken-ing..

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> the foil is so thin, removing the printing seemed rather difficult and weakening.
    Not in my experience. The paint layer comes off fairly easily with a bit of steel wool or fine sandpaper. Just don't remove much aluminium.

Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools