Topic

Cold Weather Active Wear Headwear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cold Weather Active Wear Headwear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

We’ve got a little crosscountry area a few miles down the road from us and it’s always interesting seeing the skate skiers doing 30km in a one piece lycra suit [these poor people are already on the low end of the body fat scale] and visitors plodding along just covered in clothing roasting their brains. I’ld like to have the sunglasses and sunblock concession for when the sun pops out because nobody is prepared for it. There is an anecdote that says more sunglasses are sold in Seattle then anywhere else in the states because nobody remembers where their last pair went between sun breaks and these are the same people who are never prepared for the sun on snow, moving melanomas. If remember the old glacier glassses that had a leather nose piece your old enough to remember why it was there.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have been using a Cloudveil 4 Shadows beanie for the last few years. It been just about perfect for me in the conditions you mentioned. The only thing I would change would be for them to offer it in a smaller size. I have a medium size head and the 4 Shadows is a bit too large for me.

The hat sheds weather well without becoming a sauna like most of the membrane hats I have tried. Stand alone I use the hat when it’s between around 45-60F when I am inactive and need to warm up. I typically use this had when the conditions are between 30-50F and I am active. I extend it’s comfort range with the unlined hood on my windshirt to reduce convection cooling. This has been comfortable down to around 20F when I am active. Because it’s really breathable I typically don’t have noticeable moisture build up, the beanie stays on my head when I stop and at night. I used something like a GoLite Snow Cap (polarguard insulation cap with ear flaps) over the beenie pretty much the same way I use a belay jacket over my torso.

A few other hats that worked pretty well (though I like the 6 Shadows beenie better) include a light wool cap, a polar buff (configuration changed depending on the conditions), and a power stretch or power dry baklava which would be worn as a hat in milder conditions and fully extended in colder conditions in combination with a warmer hat or insulated hood.

There are a number of hat which didn’t work well for me. As mentioned above, I didn’t like any of the hats with membranes (like windstopper or gore-tex) because my head ended up sweaty. The BPL Liphe Softshell Schoeller / Wool Hat was too light weight for me, and a bit too close fitting for my taste. For a while I worn a Tiley hat, sometimes with a a light power stretch (I think) headband for my ears, but in warmer weather my hair would get damp from sweat and in colder conditions it wasn’t warm enough.

Aaron Granda
    BPL Member

@throckmorton

How about the Smartwool Headliner? It is temperature regulating merino wool,single layer and less than 1 ounce. It dries fast and is just the ticket for the 30’s while moving. It also keeps the nylon from a hood off of your head. Much more comfortable. It also fits right under a warmer hat like a possum fur or a balaclava. It’s on sale at backcountrygear.com for $12.80.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools