Topic

Question for our MODERATORS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Question for our MODERATORS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Not a gear question, but I assume this branch gets the quickest attention.

The forum website has been significantly slower these past few weeks… and today in particular, it's taking 20-30 seconds to load a page! I'm pretty sure it's not just my computer because other websites load just fine. Can you please look into this? Thanks!

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

^+1 on slow website!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

+2

Patrick Topel
    BPL Member

@patricktt2020

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

Agreed, it took so long to load I just gave up and went to another website for awhile. BPL is very slow today.

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

+4^

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I was JUST going to post this same thing.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Nice, Benjamin. Thought it was just my crappy router.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Scott, it IS your crappy router. :)

I kid, I kid.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I'm afraid I can't specifically comment on the speed of the site as of late but I'll ping our web host because I too have been experiencing it. It makes working a bit annoying given our back end infrastructure is on the same servers.

/beginrant/ However, I will take this opportunity to harass the OP about why this is posted in the "Gear" forum and not the "Forum Admin and Support" forum. Particularly because this was posted by none-other-than ben2world himself – a known reporter of out-of-place threads. /end rant/

Being moved …
    Cheers

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

This couldn't be caused from the incredible traffic load as of late over on Chaff now, could it? :D

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hi Sam:

I knew you would ask, so the very first thing I wrote in my post above was, "Not a gear question, but I assume this branch gets the quickest attention". T's the reason.

And guess what? You DID look here before the Forum Admin branch! :)

"Known reporter of out-of-place threads"? Moi? Umm, er….

Anyway, please let us know when you hear back from your web host. Thanks.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

If I could pose a few suggestions:

Two different versions of jQuery are being loaded on each page, along with two different versions of a jQuery cookie script. My suggestion would be to settle on one version of jQuery and combine the files into a single download, creating one remote script download instead of 4.

It appears that https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/ is really unresponsive, taking up to a half second to respond to requests. This is the biggest issue with pageloads. If these are simply static thumbnails served from Apache (which appears to be the case), you may want to upgrade the hosting there or move your assets to Amazon S3 or another Content Delivery Network.

Edit: Another, perhaps more immediate fix would be to asynchronously load in avatars via javascript after page load. This would cut down on the number of calls to the cache and allow the full thread to appear much more quickly.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

"/beginrant/ However, I will take this opportunity to harass the OP about why this is posted in the "Gear" forum and not the "Forum Admin and Support" forum. Particularly because this was posted by none-other-than ben2world himself – a known reporter of out-of-place threads. /end rant/"

This made me giggle in my chocolate milk

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I've noticed this all week.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Me too. Granted, I have the slow speed DSL (even slower since Frontier took over from Verizon), but this site has been far slower than the others I visit. It seems OK today, though.

EDIT, later–getting really slow again when I try to bring up a thread.

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns

Prolly just the FBI tapping into the site. Word's out, that a bunch of crazy folk are buying up all the sailboat sail material. Nothing to see here. Everything should be back to normal soon. Move along.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Quoth Ben:

> And guess what? You DID look here before the Forum Admin branch! :)

Yes, but that's because I was reading from the "recent threads" list and this appeared before the other. Haha!

Ben Klocek
    BPL Member

@klocek-admin

@kylemeyer Thanks for the suggestions. I've been working on optimizations to load most of the JS asynchronously, and general optimizations: CSS, unused code, etc.

The cache.backpackinglight.com server is an Amazon S3 CDN, so perhaps there are some latency issues with it. I'll look into that also.

I just recently added the new cookie script, and wanted to make sure it's solid before removing the old one. It's using HTML caches, so hopefully we'll see some speed increase for those browsers.

Otherwise, I'll check with our host to see if they are seeing anything.

./ben

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks, Ben. Not sure what you did… but as a non-techie forum member, the pages are loading much quicker now.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Yes, the pages load much faster, thank you!

When I click on a thread, it almost immediately opens the page. But when I click the "back" button, things slow down again (but still better than before).

I'm not complaining, just offering more info that may or may not help.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

+1 Kyle.

I have no idea what you are talking about, but it seems your suggests were the fix.

:)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools