Topic

Milkman is back?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Milkman is back?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

FYI

Dear Milkman Devotee:

Thank you for your interest in Milkman, the Instant Low Fat Milk powder for the discriminating palate. We at Marron Foods are bringing this favorite back for people like you who have made it clear Milkman is a product without equal.

Marron Foods has worked hard to preserve the original formula and even the original look and feel of the packaging. We are very interested in your feedback and would like to send you a sample of the product that delivers low fat milk with a taste that has "the kiss of cream".

Please respond to this e-mail with your exact name and mailing address and we will get a sample out to you as soon as possible.

Thank you!

(Peggy McGuinness for)

Dan Pearson

Brand Manager

Marron Foods

http://www.marronfoods.com

914-967-2442 ext 14

914-967-2220 fax

914-924-8061 cell

[email protected]

Thanks for the reminder Jim:

(I have no commercial interest in this other than being a formerly happy user of the product)

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

That's good news!

I would encourage folks who care about this to pass the info on to gear shops in their area (and, of course, flood REI with notices that the Milkman back).

(I have no commercial interest in this other than being a formerly happy user of the product)

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

great news!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/milk/nonfat-dry-milk/

I went to using OV the past couple years – and if I needed it richer cut it with a tiny bit of NIDO full fat. The taste is so much nicer, even with being non-fat.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Thanks Sara,
    I will try it.

Will Webster

@willweb

Thanks Sarah, I just ordered some from Amazon. I've been looking for something healthier than Nido but better than the generic crap I can find in the local stores.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

And OV also makes a really good buttermilk powder as well :-)

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

I just received a sample in the mailbox today. Can't wait to compare with Nido, and also try Sarah's suggestion.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Marron's packet of Milkman arrived yesterday. Fast service! I only e-mailed them last week.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

So, what's the matter with Nido? (Other than it not being organic and being a Nestle product. But your note suggests it is not healthful?)

S. K.

@pangolin

Locale: Ohio

Since Nido is made from whole milk and Milkman seems to be made from low-fat milk, I would guess the objection to Nido is the fat in the whole milk.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I would guess the objection to Nido is the fat in the whole milk."

The fat is a plus, IMO. Packing in the calories is the name of the game on backpacking trips, especially longer ones.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

For those of us who need to avoid excess saturated fat, Milkman would be the choice. There are healtier fats than saturated fats.

–B.G.–

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I'm with you, Bob. Olive oil is the way to cram in the good fats. Milk is for fun. As for the Nido fans, have you ever actually tried Milkman? It tastes sooo much better. Organic Valley is pretty decent too, but it is a little hard to mix up in your cup (good for cooking though). I should have a nice summer's stash of Milkman from Packit Gourmet on my doorstep tomorrow. My life will now be complete. It's been a long several years without my Milkman.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Well, I am sure that there are hikers out there who do not have any health problem with saturated fats, so if they want to boost their calories that way, it is fine with me. However, some of us do need to get out of saturated fats and more into monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. That gets us to olive oil and nut oils. I've been transfat-free for some time now.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Olive oil is the way to cram in the good fats."

But it doesn't go very well with granola. I use both at different times of the day.
    A little bit of satuirated fat for a few days isn't going to harm a normal, healthy, highly active human being in the backcountry.

"Milk is for fun"

Nah. A good single malt is for fun. ;)

"As for the Nido fans, have you ever actually tried Milkman? It tastes sooo much better."

Milkman was all I ever used until it disappeared from the shelves. In the interim, I discovered Nido and have never looked back. More calories and, IMO, better flavor.
    Admittedly, taste is highly individual and each person will have their preference, but it certainly isn't a slam dunk in favor of Milkman. I don't worry about the saturated fat in an ounce of Nido/day on a backpacking trip, with a cholesterol reading typically in the 170's and an HDL to total cholesterol to HDL ratio below 3. YMMV

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

My physician would smack me about the head and shoulders if my cholesterol numbers went that high.

–B.G.–

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Gary,

I still have org MM vacumed sealed in my deep freeze. LOL! I am interested to see how the new stacks up to the old. I have a sample pace coming, so I will report my opinion when it arrives.
    Regards,
    John

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

At the rate long distance hikers burn calories (~6000 per day) relative to the calories ingested, we're running a big deficit. We can eat sticks of butter and still come out short.

Milkman works well with cold, warm, or hot waters.

Nido is a disaster in cold water, and not very good in warm. To me, it always has a burnt milk flavor that I find hard to choke down.

VIVA MILKMAN

Now all they have to do is get it back in the stores and REI.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"My physician would smack me about the head and shoulders if my cholesterol numbers went that high."

Chuckle.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Latest mailing

Dear Milkman Devotee's-

We are happy to announce that we have just finished launching the Milkman Facebook page. As most of you know, the beginning is the hardest time to generate traffic. The more "likes" we get the faster the site will spread.
    So if you are on Facebook, please follow this link to view and "like" our page. If you would like to be able to suggest it to your friends, just let me know, and I will make you an administrator on the page.

Here is the link…

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Milkman-Lowfat-Dry-Milk/143023432437226

It would also be great if you could post some comments and tell us about your uses/experiences with milkman. Some of you will see that we have already posted some of the testimonials you sent to us.. But feel free to write more. Thanks so much for your help and your continued devotion to our product. Take care.

Dan Pearson
    Marron Foods
    [email protected]
    http://Www.yourwhey.com
    http://Www.marronfoods.com

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

We are also trying very hard to add to the list of online stores that distribute Milkman. At this time, we are trying to convince; cracker barrel, vermont country stores, and REI. It would really help us out if some of you could contact them and ask them if they plan on adding milkman to their site. Here are their contact emails in case you are interested in doing this. Thanks!

REI-
    http://www.rei.com/help/feedback/gearfb.html
    Follow this link and fill out the request.
    REI was one of the biggest distributors of milkman… We desperately want to get them back on board. With this company, it would probably help to mention that you noticed it is still listed as “Available for sale” on their site… But is only out of stock. Tell them you heard the product is back and you were wondering when they will have it in stock again.

Vermont country stores
    http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/vcs/Customer-Service/Contact-Us.html
    Go to this link and fill out the request.

Cracker Barrel
    http://www.crackerbarrel.com/contact-general.cfm
    Again, fill in the brief request

THANK YOU SO MUCH! We really appreciate the help you have all provided as we try to get things rolling again.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me any time. Thanks again!

Dan Pearson
    Marron Foods
    [email protected]

Andrew Manies
    Spectator

@amanies

Locale: SF Bay Area

I'm not sure if this is widely known, but REI finally seems to be carrying Milkman again after a long absence:

http://www.rei.com/product/829886/milkman-instant-low-fat-dry-powdered-milk-1-quart

The only downside? Price. I seem to recall Milkman packs costing about $1-$1.50 each before they stopped being made.

Still, REI offers its usual 20% discount for orders of 12 or more food items.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools