Topic

3 days in the Columbia River Gorge area

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Josh Newkirk BPL Member
PostedMar 28, 2011 at 9:51 pm

First backpacking trip more than one night and first time gear has been weighed.

I am going in a group but self sufficient other then map.

Columbia River Gorge area, Oregon (Eagle Creek to be precise).

Rain is expected with temps between 40 and 55 degrees.

3 days, 2 nights

Shelter:
TT Rainbow inc stakes 38.60oz

Sleeping:
Montbell UL SS 1 36oz
(only sleeping bag at the moment)
Z-Lite 13.90oz

Pack:
Aarn mountain magic 55 46.97oz

Clothes:
Helly Hansen Rain Jacket 12oz
Mont Rain pants 13.4oz
Seattle Sombrero 3.55oz
Montbell thermawrap jacket 10.15oz
Outdoor Research Windstopper Gloves 2.90oz
OR option balaclava 1.5oz
Patagonia socks 2.1oz

Water and Cooking:
Pocket Rocket 3.9oz
Snow Peak 700mL pot 4.5oz
Titanium spoon 0.5oz
1.5 L Nalgene Canteen 2.55oz
1 L Platypus 1.55oz
Aqua Mira 3.1oz (smaller bottles in the mail)

Miscellaneous:
toilet paper 0.90oz (in aloksak)
first aid and survival 2.95oz
camera 6.80oz
compass 2.4oz
petzl e-lite 1oz
knife 3.1oz
matches 0.6oz
ditty bag 0.5oz

total base weight 13.46 lbs

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Also I was wondering if anyone thinks I should get a certain lighter thing could you recommend an example.

My last overnighter I went on, my pack weighed around 35lbs.

Chris Morgan BPL Member
PostedMar 28, 2011 at 10:25 pm

You're missing newt spray!

In all seriousness, I think the only problem you might run into right now is snow or ice – so maybe microspikes. But from what I've heard the snow is mostly gone through tunnel falls and I haven't heard of any ice problems lately.

Also, I'd bring 2-3 pairs of socks right now, just for sanity.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedMar 28, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Are you spending the 2 nights in the same place?

That's a nice area.

Kyle Meyer BPL Member
PostedMar 28, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Are you going anytime soon? I'd expect temperatures colder than or very near 40, and think you may be a little light on insulation with only a thermawrap for hanging out with the group in camp. You'll have lots of time in camp on Eagle Creek this time of year considering you can only make it about 8 miles in before you hit snow and you're spending two nights out there.

Josh Newkirk BPL Member
PostedMar 28, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Kyle, I looked at a weather report and it is supposed to be around a low of 40. Even with a rain jacket on and gloves and balaclava you dont think this will be warm enough. I think there will be a fire also. The guys I am going with are pretty traditional, one of them asked me to bring a small hatchet if I had one.

Mary D BPL Member
PostedMar 29, 2011 at 10:54 am

Note the rules re fires on the Eagle Creek Trail:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTSw8jAwgAykeaxcN4jhYG_h4eYX5hPgYwefy6w0H24dcPNgEHcDTQ9_PIz03VL8iNMMgycVQEAIzTHkw!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfME80MEkxVkFCOTBFMktTNUJIMjAwMDAwMDA!/?ss=110622&ttype=recarea&recid=29912&actid=51&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110160000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&cid=FSE_003714&pname=Columbia+River+Gorge+National+Scenic+Area+-+Eagle+Creek+Trail+%23440

Or, if you don't want to copy/paste all that mess:

"Fires not allowed within 200 feet of trail, 1000 feet in wilderness"

For current conditions, try this site: http://www.portlandhikers.org/

Expect conditions–and what little wood is available–to be WET! Also expect nights to be colder than the forecast (which is for sea level) as you gain altitude. And a snowy trail above Tunnel Falls, rapidly getting quite deep as you start the real climb.

PostedMar 29, 2011 at 12:20 pm

TT Rainbow inc stakes 38.60oz


REPLACE with a lighter option. A tarp would save you approx. 28 oz.

Pack:
Aarn mountain magic 55 46.97oz


Uuugh! This is the first thing to replace! You should find a pack that weighs no more than about 20 oz, saving almost 27 oz.

If you replace the pack and tent you'll save approx. 55 oz! That's almost 3 1/2 pounds!



Montbell UL SS 1 36oz


This is a nice option for early season nights.

Water and Cooking:
Pocket Rocket 3.9oz


REPLACE with a lighter option. An alcohol cat-food can stove is less than an oz, and the fuel is lighter.

–

1.5 L Nalgene Canteen 2.55oz
1 L Platypus 1.55oz


Why so much water capacity in the Eagle Creek area? This is a place where you can easily get by with a 1 liter capacity. Nix the Nalgene.

Aqua Mira 3.1oz (smaller bottles in the mail) – When repackaged with a MIX bottle, these will weigh in at around 1 oz.

Miscellaneous:
toilet paper 0.90oz (in aloksak)


easily NIXED

knife 3.1oz


REPLACE with a lighter option. a 0.1 oz single edge razor is fine. And if you are in a team, just leave it, everyone else will have a knife (and probably BIG ones!)

–

THINGS TO ADD:


– small amount of soap (0.7 oz)
– My recommended lightweight lighter is the 99 cent mini-bic (0.4 oz), get one at any gas station!-

Josh Newkirk BPL Member
PostedMar 29, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Mike

Is the SilTwinn better than the MLD Grace Tarps 1.35 Silnylon?

Just curious because the MLD is lighter and cheaper. Would it be harder to stay dry underneath the MLD without a bivy?

thanks
Josh

PostedMar 29, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Yikes…I don't think I'd be brave enough to tarp it in the Gorge this time of year…site selection would be absolutely critical to prevent a miserable night if it rains.

John Nausieda BPL Member
PostedMar 29, 2011 at 6:37 pm

You will probably have a good time in terms of other people as Spring Break just ended in Oregon.This assumes you'd rather have less people. Regardless of that if you are in on a Friday Saturday or Sunday expect more people. We all have Cabin Fever in Oregon as March is now the 5th wettest on record. I think you'd have to use $5 worth of gas to even get a fire lit at this point, and even then it's going to smoke and will probably go out.I'd leave the axe in the car. I'd be prepared for some serious tent or tarp time. You'll get in pretty quick with almost no grade. If you are into waterfalls and rock it is heaven. But the light will also be low and it can feel sullen. Be aware of car security . The Gorge is full of break-ins. Leave you car at the campsite host after you exit or risk a break in. You may get bored. The Gorge has plenty of pubs etc. On a positive note we may be a little warmer but the winds in the Gorge are not very predictable. It is beautiful . I hope you have a good time.

Steven Paris BPL Member
PostedMar 29, 2011 at 6:55 pm

+1 to John's (and everybody else's) comments.

Park your car at the host and walk the 1/2 mile up the road to the trailhead, instead of parking there. You are somewhat limited to campsite selections. Although the tent sites themselves are relatively level, there is almost always a slope above and below them, so if it rains, expect tiny rivers around or under your shelter. Of course, that's true of most PNW sites.

The nice thing about Eagle Creek is that you can walk out after the first night if you don't want to stay a 2d night or meander down and stay at 3 1/2 mile camp and give yourself an easy hike on the 2d morning.

John Nausieda BPL Member
PostedMar 29, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Where are you coming from? We may be able to suggest Another Roadside Attraction.

Chris Morgan BPL Member
PostedMar 29, 2011 at 7:02 pm

1. Two person tarps are especially nice in the PNW for 1 person, with the rain and all. I wouldn't use a solo tarp around here in today's weather!

2. Ron's (MLD) two person spinnaker tarp is almost identical to the Spinntwin, I think. Ultimately, the choice is between Spinnaker and Sil-nylon. Sil is cheaper, spinnaker stays more taught (and therefore less fuss, I find)

3. Charburger, underneath Bridge of the Gods in Cascade Locks, is the requisite stop after anything done in the Gorge-related between Portland and before Hood River.

John Nausieda BPL Member
PostedMar 29, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I agree about Charburger. It is a Trip and a Half as we used to say. Upstairs is Cafeteria style one of a kind fast food Nothing special great view. Down below in the Belly of the Beast is some kind of Brunch with Prime Rib etc.Never been there on a Sunday as I'm not dressed for Church. It's Time Travel if you understand it correctly. There are plenty of more current places but that's to miss our history as Sometimes A Great Notion.

Kyle Meyer BPL Member
PostedMar 30, 2011 at 11:13 am

Not sure where you’re looking, but assuming you’re talking about this weekend, the forecast is looking like lows of ~35ยบ at 7.5 mile camp, with rain in the forecast. Just your thermawrap for insulation may be a little chilly if you’re fireless and spending lots of time in camp. Bring lots of whiskey or another jacket. : )

Mary D BPL Member
PostedMar 30, 2011 at 1:01 pm

A base layer top and bottom would be good–with those, the Thermawrap should be fine.

I believe the Eagle Creek campground is still closed (if it's open, park close to the campground host). Park by the fish hatchery, not at the trailhead. Leave nothing (of value or otherwise) in the car. (These are official US Forest Service recommendations, BTW.) I try to make this obvious by leaving open the glove box, center compartment, etc.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Loading...