Topic

fake down booties?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear fake down booties?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca Ribbing
    BPL Member

@becca-r

Locale: Alexandria, VA

I've got a ton of apex left over from making the quilts, and I was going to make some down bootie knockoffs with some of the excess. Are there any patterns out there? What would you use as the sole?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I did a Polarguard bootie kit once many years ago. The inner sole was closed cell foam covered by nylon. The outer sole was a tough Cordura nylon with some texture.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I made some synthetic "booties" just for sleeping.

Just a tube with the end sewn off at an angle:
    booty

On my foot:

on foot

To sew it, do a French seam – do a loop of fabric, loop of insulation, loop of fabric – fold over and sew through them, cut off all but about 1/4 inch, turn inside out and sew through it hiding the raw edges, turn it right side out – do the same thing to close off the foot

Rebecca Ribbing
    BPL Member

@becca-r

Thanks Bob and Jerry!

I couldn't figure out what to do inside the sole, but closed cell foam makes perfect sense. Now I suppose I need to decide if they will just be worn in the tent or not because Jerry's idea sounds really good as well. At the very least, I think I will make a pair of Jerry's design for my son to keep his feet warm at night.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I've got a pair of Feathered Friends down booties that I'd be happy to 'loan' you so you can get ideas on how to make your own since you're in the area. I wouldn't need them back for a couple of weeks. PM me if you're interested.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Booties are made to different degrees of seriousness. Down socks would be worn only inside a tent. Down booties could be worn inside, or maybe outside. Some have seriously textured soles so that you can go outside into the snow on a midnight visit.

My Polarguard booties are OK, but they are a little heavy. That was my first kit to assemble.

–B.G.–

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I made mine with Polarguard 3D, used two layers of 3oz if I recall correctly. Differentially cut. 1.1 oz ripstop outer, lining was pieces of a really light blanket I got on an airline – basically a brushed fabric that is really light, like maybe 2 oz/yd. I did the brushed lining so I could put them on with no socks and be comfortable, which I sometimes do. I like the lining. Soles are 160d cordura with 1/4" closed cell foam. For outdoors I have overbooties, knee-high single layer fabric (1.1 rip top again) with 3/8" foam in the soles. So when I go out I have a total of 5/8" foam underfoot.
    I also tried Toughtek (a kind of grippy rubberish frabic that I have used for mitten shell palms) for the soles, but it was slippery on ice – not good.
    I had made pile booties before, and had a pattern that I developed for those. I modified that pattern and made two versions of it, one larger for the outer layer, one smaller for the inner. Making a pattern for booties is pretty easy by trial and error if you have some scrap fabric to play with.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Jerry's design is straight. Looks funny, but check how you sleep. Most people sleep with their toes pointed out straight. So the design works better than expected.

cheers

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

why fake?

anyways, here's a pair I made using synthetic insulation, CCF "midsole" and a "slip-not" (i think from quest outfitters, or maybe rockywoods) outsole:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=41045&skip_to_post=349763#349763

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Rebecca
    if you make your own they will be 100% genuine originals…
    (booties is not a brand name or a specific product)
    Franco

scavo ralary

@ralary

not too good,and I think it is fake booties

Rebecca Ribbing
    BPL Member

@becca-r

By fake, I meant not actually down, since I'm going to use Apex.

I think I'm going to start with the tube sock design. I love the idea of having an over-sock so that way I won't get the quilt dirty.

Thanks for everyone's ideas!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools