Topic

Kids Down Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Kids Down Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rochelle O’Hagan

@rgohagan

I want to make a down jacket for my 2 1/2yr old. Does anyone know of a pattern that might be useful? Also, any ideas on how much down I would need? I haven't made anything with down before, but have managed a waterproof raincoat (Jalie pattern) for him.

Thanks.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

Your rain jacket pattern might work. Especial if you have seen it on your kid, you will know how to alter it to make it work. I would think that would be lose enough to let the down loft properly. Another option is the thru-hiker Whitney down jacket. If they have an extra small pattern their instructions and step by step guide is very helpful. I used it this fall to make the jacket for this current winter. It came out very nice and wasn't too difficult to follow. As far as how much down you need, might not be much more than an ounce of 800-900 fill to cover your kid from head to toe with goose. For comparison my jacket has 3-4 inches of total loft around the body and 1 inch total in the sleeves and hood. I am a 5-10 male 160 lbs. This jacket only has 5.9 ounces of down.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools