Topic

What to do after graduation?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion What to do after graduation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Garrett M

@garrettm

I was planning on climbing Mt. Rainier, but all the reputable guide services are already booked. I was thinking of maybe hiking in Estes Park, but would really like to climb a mountain. Just looking for suggestions. I graduate May 7 and would like to do a 7 day trip.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Climb some 14er's in Colorado?

Erik Danielsen
    BPL Member

@er1kksen

Locale: The Western Door

According to my highly developed astronumeropharmocological divining algorithms, since you graduate on the 7th, and you want to do a 7-day trip, and 7+7=14, if you do anything BUT climb some 14ers in CO you will probably be cornered by a pack of 21 mountain goats and gored until disfigured. Specifically, for best luck, you should climb exactly 3.5 14ers. Yes, you should either add a 7000-foot peak or just climb halfway up an extra 14er. That'll make sure you don't get struck by lightning or anything.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Climb Mount Adams, Mount Saint Helens, or the South Sister.

All are technically just walks up, but nice scenery. You probably need to go with someone that's somewhat experienced.

Climb Mount Whitney – that's supposed to be pretty easy.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Climb Mount Whitney – that's supposed to be pretty easy."

May 7 is too early for Whitney unless you are experienced on snow and ice. Normal hikers don't go up there much before July 1, and August 1 is much more common.

–B.G.–

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Ohhh – May 7

That would be a good time to climb any of the Cascade volcanoes – better weather but still plenty of snow so you don't get hit by rockfall.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"May 7 is too early for Whitney unless you are experienced on snow and ice. [Non-technical] hikers don't go up there much before July 1, and August 1 is much more common."

+1.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools