Topic

New old guy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself, name's Clay. I sort of stumbled upon this site while trying to get back into backpacking in lighter way. I got started back when most available packs were florescent orange and everything was big and heavy "1970's."

I wish I would have found this site, before buying my latest stuff, as I think I would have made some more informed decisions, but I'm still around ten pounds, without food and water – not counting camera gear- so all is not lost.

It's nice to see that gear has finally started getting lighter. Anyway, I wanted to say thanks for all the good tips on lighter gear, even though I can already see this is going to cost me even more money, on things like a smaller, lighter pack, quilt, lighter pad. I tried the tarp bivy/bug bivy in years past and didn't get along with them much, as I live in the slickrock country of Northern Arizona/Southern Utah, so I probably won't save any weight there. I wish someone would make a sub 2lb freestanding tent, with siting up room, then I would be set. Cheers Clay.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I wish someone would make a sub 2lb freestanding tent, with siting up room, then I would be set."

They exist. The sitting up room is good as long as your standing height is no more than four feet.

–B.G.–

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

Yeah, Bob, but if I was that small, 2 lbs would probably seem heavy :).

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Seriously, the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 supposedly has a "trail weight" of 1 pound 14 ounces, and it has a head height of 38".

Take that with a grain of salt.

–B.G.–

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

Thanks Bob, I have read a little about that tent, but I think I need to see one and get in it first. I read one review from a guy who was about my size, that didn't seem to think there was sitting headroom, or much room at all. I think the next time I get to the big city, I might try one out and see if I fit. Thanks for heads up though.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Thanks for heads up though."

Actually, in that tent it is a heads down. I have one.

–B.G.–

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

How tall are you Bob { if you don't mind}? And where does the tent peak? Above where you would sit up or elsewhere? Getting to be Bivy territory from what it sounds like. Since you kept the tent do you find the side to side room and rain prone door vestibule still workable? Ventilation? Thanks, John

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 supposedly has a "trail weight" of 1 pound 14 ounces, and it has a head height of 38"."

I don't know what you refer to as the peak. I assumed that the head height meant the ceiling height.

When sitting flat on the floor, my head is at 33 inches. Typically I would be sitting on a half-inch pad on the floor, so that is 33.5.

"Since I kept the tent." I purchased it, but I've never yet slept in it. It is a two-layer tent, so it does not ventilate the same as a tarp.

–B.G.–

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

Yeah Bob, I feel for ya. It seems to be easy to make expensive mistakes, with the advent of the online ordering. I know I've made my share of them. I'm still kicking myself for not finding this site, before charging full speed ahead. :)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Yeah Bob, I feel for ya. It seems to be easy to make expensive mistakes, with the advent of the online ordering."

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Did you make a mistake with this one?

This tent seems to be exactly as advertised, the dimensions and weight are exactly as advertised, and I got it reasonably priced. Tent+footprint+shipping for less than $250.

–B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Clay:

Also take a look at Big Sky International. They carry double wall, single wall, and hybrid tents. I share that company's philosophy of sticking mainly to a conventional design — a no-fuss freestanding dome tent — and cutting weight by using modern materials.

Just one caution if you are interested in buying. Check for actual tent availability first — particularly if you need your tent within a particular time frame. The company keeps very little inventory — and the next batch may be weeks or even months away. When in doubt, contact the company before you order from them.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Hi, Clay.

I have a Fly Creek UL 1. I don't always use it (the flexibility of a tarp shelter can be very nice, too), but when I do take it, it works well for me.

I haven't noticed a problem with rain coming in the door, and I've been in some pretty heavy rain with it. I think I must leave the fly partially zipped when it rains. If mine wore out (and there wasn't something I liked better by then), I'd buy another one. I love how light weight it is and how easy it is to set up.

I'm not so sure how well it would work for a taller person though. I have enough room to sit up inside, but not a lot left over. For perspective, I'm a little under 5'7."

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Did you make a mistake with this one?

This tent seems to be exactly as advertised, the dimensions and weight are exactly as advertised, and I got it reasonably priced. Tent+footprint+shipping for less than $250.

–B.G.–

My mistake Bob, when you said it's a heads down tent, I thought maybe you meant it was a mistake getting it.

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

Clay:

Also take a look at Big Sky International. They carry double wall, single wall, and hybrid tents. I share that company's philosophy of sticking mainly to a conventional design — a no-fuss freestanding dome tent — and cutting weight by using modern materials.

Just one caution if you are interested in buying. Check for actual tent availability first — particularly if you need your tent within a particular time frame. The company keeps very little inventory — and the next batch may be weeks or even months away. When in doubt, contact the company before you order from them.

Edited by ben2world on 03/27/2011 19:22:52 MDT.

Thanks Benjamin, I'll check that out.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

Hi, Clay.

I have a Fly Creek UL 1. I don't always use it (the flexibility of a tarp shelter can be very nice, too), but when I do take it, it works well for me.

I haven't noticed a problem with rain coming in the door, and I've been in some pretty heavy rain with it. I think I must leave the fly partially zipped when it rains. If mine wore out (and there wasn't something I liked better by then), I'd buy another one. I love how light weight it is and how easy it is to set up.

I'm not so sure how well it would work for a taller person though. I have enough room to sit up inside, but not a lot left over. For perspective, I'm a little under 5'7."

Thanks Diana. I'm about six foot, so I will see if I can find one to get inside of, next time I'm in the city, to see if it fits me.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"My mistake Bob, when you said it's a heads down tent, I thought maybe you meant it was a mistake getting it."

No, it's just that a tall person won't spend a lot of time in there with his head up.

–B.G.–

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

Mike W wrote:
    I did a mini-review on the Fly Creek UL 1 a while back and you may find some of the details useful in helping you decide. My son is the guy in the fly creek and he is 6' 1" and 190 lbs.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=23225&skip_to_post=187757#187757

One comment re: the height of the Fly Creek. Although you may be sitting on an inflatable pad it is probably only going to raise you up an inch at the most, not the full 2.5 inch pad thickness (they squish).

Hi Mike and thanks for that review. It does look like a pretty nice little tent. I have the BD Highlight now and I like the side door entry and headroom, but I wish it had more screen in the door, for ventilation and I wish it weighed less. I've thought about getting some lightweight netting and putting a couple velcro strips at the top of the door and hanging it down to keep the sketters out and give it a little more ventilation, but I'll have to look at some other options too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools