Topic

How important is the weight of trekking poles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How important is the weight of trekking poles?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

I'm going to be a rebel and say I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I've used a few different types of aluminum poles and some carbon fiber poles before weighing between 10-16 oz. Sure, I can tell I am using a different pole. The weight difference in negligible, especially since your arms and shoulders don't do much else while hiking. My thought is unless you have toothpicks for arms save a few bucks. Odds are you aren't going to arrive at camp and say "wow these trekking poles really tired me out today."

Tyson Marshall
    BPL Member

@sheepngeese

Locale: Ventura County (formerly PNW)

"The weight of the paddle makes a huge difference in the way you're able to feel and perform, particularly toward the end of the day. There's a world of difference in a paddle that weighs just 6-8 oz less."

I think it should be mentioned that the design of the paddle may make more of a difference than the weight of the paddle. For instance, an Aleut paddle versus a modern paddle…

Cheers.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools