Topic

Nemo Sleeping Pads – Temp Ratings – Astro Insulated Sleeping Pad + PillowTop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nemo Sleeping Pads – Temp Ratings – Astro Insulated Sleeping Pad + PillowTop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

Hi All,
    I've been on the lookout for a new sleeping pad and was intrigued by Nemo's new Astro Insulated pad plus a potential mating with Nemo's Pillowtop cover. I suspect most of you are aware of this combo's selection for a 2011 Backpacker's editor's choice award.

In researching the pad, I quickly noticed that there is little information floating around regarding how low the pad could be pushed – no available R-Value, no temp/comfort rating, etc. So I contacted Nemo Equipment directly and am posting the reply as a PSA for others interested. I had asked about R-values and whether the pad would be a good match with my specific setup (Western Mountaineering Ultralite, w/ liner when temps really drop). Here is the response:

"We do a lot of testing on our sleeping pads, but do not release R values. The reason for this is because there is no industry standard for measuring R value — all companies test for R values using different standards, environmental conditions. This makes it extremely hard if not impossible for customers to compare R values from different companies. We're currently working with many other pad companies in the industry to standardize this testing. It will take a little time for the industry to come to a consensus. We don’t give temperature ratings, because that is dependent on many factors including metabolic rate, sleeping bag used, clothing worn, type of tent, etc.

Here is a rating on our pads:
    From least to most warm:
    1. Astro Air Short
    2. Zor Short
    3. Astro Air Short with Pillowtop
    4. Tuo Cub
    5. Tuo Cub with Pillowtop
    6. Astro Air
    7. Cosmo Air
    8. Zor
    9. Astro Air with Pillowtop
    10. Tuo Standard
    11. Cosmo Air with Pillowtop
    12. Astro Insulated
    13. Cosmo Insulated
    14. Zor with Pillowtop
    15. Tuo Luxury
    16. Tuo Standard with Pillowtop
    17. Astro Insulated with Pillowtop
    18. Cosmo Insulated with Pillowtop
    19. Tuo Luxury with Pillowtop

Hope this helps!"

I decided to give Nemo a chance and have since ordered the Astro Insulated + Pillowtop combo. I'm planning to do my own review once it comes in – which unfortunately won't be anytime soon – the retailer I ordered from is quoting June 2011 delivery. A few stores have the pad by itself available now, but I found a decent deal on the combo and took it ($158, tax-free w/ free shipping).

David Ure

@familyguy

I was close to buying a Zor, but then found the Exped Synmat UL. Full length, 3.1R value and insulated. 2.5" of thickness.

Ryan Elsey

@paintballswimguy

Locale: Kansas City

I've really been wanting to see a review of the nemo astro air, The price is very nice. $65 bucks with a discount code. I'm just not sure how comfortable it is, and what the R value is. I'm tempted to wait for the pacific outdoor peak elite ac

Josh owen

@azjosho

Is there a reason why the hyped up Nemo pillow top won't fit any other 72×20 pad?

matt mayfield

@bigfootyancey

It seems as though the pad slips inside the pillow top. And since the Astro is 2.5 inches thick- I do not see why any other pad 72"x20 with a thickness of 2.5 inches or less would'nt work

Martin Van Laarhoven
    BPL Member

@vtrek

Locale: NorthEast

Okay, so a lot of time has passed since y'all started talking about the Nemo insulated pad. Any input for someone sthinking about buying one? What kind of general R-value would you give it? I like the price (compared to the Neo-Air All Season) so I'm looking seriously. Any input would be helpful. Thanks
    vtrek

Sandra Putnam

@sblancha4

I have owned a NAIL for approx 2 years now, and LOVE it! It is comfy for a finnicky side sleeper, and I have never gotten cold. It packs down fairly small (imo) and is easy to inflate and deflate. I've taken it to boundary waters, Porcupine mtns and fully intend to use it on the AT. Have yet to find anything that would entice me to switch.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools