Topic

Does Climashield flatten?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Does Climashield flatten?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nico brilmyer
    BPL Member

@niconotori

Does climashield flatten after prolonged use? What is the disadvantage other than weight when set against down?

thanks =)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

ALL synthetic insulations lose loft over time much faster than down.

Climashield is one of the very best synthetics at retaining its loft.
    My experience with the 1st generation Primaloft was poor. It lost its loft in a Caribou Mountaineering summer bag after ONE season.

(Newer versions of Primaloft may be better.)

nico brilmyer
    BPL Member

@niconotori

so loft life of climashield =? And is climshield apex different?

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Like Eric stated, all synths will lose loft, some faster than others. Primaloft One gets real thin really fast–even the newest generation. However, I still find my primaloft garments pretty warm, and they still insulate well even though there is a noticeable loss in loft. Other than weight the disadvantage, there's also the compressibility disadvantage. Synthetics don't compress as well as down, nor would you want to compress them as much (again, concerns over loss of loft). But of course, they still provide insulation value when wet, and are easier to clean in home washer and dryers than down.

Hmm loft life depends on use. The back of your jacket, or bottom of your sleeping bag will definitely be the first things to go.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools