Topic

What size tubing for tent poles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear What size tubing for tent poles?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JASON FRITZ

@trrubicon06

After my recent outing and realizing I don't need to carry a trekking pole…I've decided to do without. But, need a single pole for my Gatewood Cape. I was gonna order a carbon pole from Z-packs, but love to make my own stuff if I can.

My issue is what is the lightest tubing I can get that won't bend under pressure of a single pole tarp?

Also, I'd like it to be convertible from say 45" to 50" for different weather conditions. Low for cold windy weather and high for warm fair weather. I was thinking just having a 45" pole with a 5" piece that I could just slip on an end.

Also, what is the realistic weight difference of going carbon or aluminum for this app?

Thanks

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Maybe .433" or larger Easton from Quest.

Carbon from the kite materials companies will weigh less than half as much, but have no specs on strength.
    There was a guy posting last year who got some really light carbon tube at a place selling used golf club shafts for close to zero $.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Two suggestions. One is fiberglas (heavy) and one is carbon fiber (light).

For fiberglas, go to a camping supply store and buy a tent pole repair kit. Typically they contain some sections of fiberglas poles with ferrules so that they can be pieced together. You want to think about the various pole section lengths so that you end up with 45", probably from two sections. Then make an extra section that is 5", and shock cord them together. You can stick all three sections together to get 50", or you can pull the 5" section loose and let it flap. That gives you 45".

You can do the same thing, roughly, with carbon fiber sections from Fibraplex. $$$

–B.G.–

JASON FRITZ

@trrubicon06

I ended up going with Easton Nanolites from Quest. With 3 sections and all the fittings, it was only $15 shipped. So, it's not a pricey gamble and should be suitable for a backup atleast down the road. I'll post up when I receive.

Thanks

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Jason,

The photos of the Gatewood Cape show the pole bottom positioned on the entrance side of the tarp. Can it also be positioned on the opposite side of the tarp so the entrance is pole free?

Daryl

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Daryl,

I do not believe it will work, since the tie-out on the entrance side will pull "down & away" on the pole. I think the shelter would collapse. I may give it a go.

Haven't tried it on my Gatewood, though.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Todd,

Thanks for the info.

I'm working on a similar tarp and hope to place the pole on the opposite side of the entrance.

Daryl

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I use one pole, 45 inches long, Easton .344 inch.

Holds up in wind okay.

But, I'm usually on the lighter end of things, most people would probably want a thicker tubing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools