Topic

Black Diamond Helping Japan

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Black Diamond Helping Japan

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    James S

@hikinnc

I hope that should I find myself and my family without a home, food, water, or any of our personal belongings I can rely on the generosity of others at a time when I need it the most.

Let's keep in mind that a lot of people lost more than shoes and a home. They've lost children, brothers, sisters, wives, husbands, mothers, and fathers. None of that will be rectified by rebuilding or stocking a pantry. The absolute least we can do is help give them clothing, shelter, food, and water. The emotional and mental rebuilding will take far longer than anything else and no amount of money in the world will ease that.

What does money matter when compared to life? Let's not be petty – or let us never ask for anything in our own lives.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Many individuals in many countries are providing private help. Individuals are determing that it is important to them to help. I like this most of all.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i hear what you're saying. however, that begs the question of how many people who are donating and contributing to japan aid give the same, or even less, or any, to the salvation army. i still think the bill gates rainforest principle applies in this situation. i have thought about it for some time. maybe we will just not see eye-to-eye.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Josh,

I understand your point. But to me, it is none of my business what my neighbor does or does not do; should he or she even be willing to donate money to a worthy cause. It is entirely optional, and each person's motivation is their own personal reason. Right now with our economic difficulties, many people have given a little extra because they think it is the right thing to do.

BRIAN BOLIN
    BPL Member

@oboz

Locale: OVER YONDER'

Human life is human life, no matter what country. Get a grip, give if you can, and shut up if you want to gripe!

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

yes nick, what our neighbors do is none of our business. you are right in that. all in all i'm glad black diamond is doing something good with the money instead of just sticking it into their pockets. just would've been cool if they donated headlamps to the people in New Orleans with no power or something…

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Hi Josh:

I think we would just drive ourselves crazy trying to second guess what other people are doing for the less fortunate and whether they are giving the right amounts to the right people. Probably better just to focus on how best we ourselves can help. And no, we do not have to see eye-to-eye at all. There are countless different ways to help.

Matt Stone

@mstone897

Update: It would appear the fund-raiser is over.

We’ve reached our goal! Thanks to your overwhelming support, Black Diamond is proud to announce that we have reached our donation goal—in a mere four days—for headlamp and lantern sales in support of the American Red Cross and its Japanese earthquake and tsunami relief efforts. We could not have accomplished this without your help. Thanks to everyone who help to make this project a huge success!

-from BD

Glad to see there was lots of support but bummed to see its over already.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools