Topic

La Sportiva Fireblade

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) La Sportiva Fireblade

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Caleb Boyle

@calebb

Anyone use it? (I've tried searching the site for past discussions)

I am looking for some trail runners. Yesterday I tried on the Crosslites and they fit really well. But, I think the lugs are a little too aggressive for my needs, and they are quite minimal when it comes to durability and cushioning (my impression). After reading more about the Fireblades, I think I might like them even better. However, I can't find any dealers around that have them in stock.

PS- I have considered Inov-8, but I really want a shoe that will last as long as possible (more economical…).

Questions-

How do they fit in relation to the Crosslite?

How are the cushioning? Hopefully less than the Wildcat, but maybe more than the Crosslite?

Durability? Hopefully better with the triple-density EVA?

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

I have tried on crosslite's and I wasn't a fan of how low they are. My ankle felt way exposed which is strange considering I ended up purchasing the Wildcats (which are only a little bit taller in the ankle area) which I absolutely love and plan on purchasing multiple pairs. I have crossed river/creek crossings got out and kept on walking as the water gushes out of mesh and dry rather fast. I have't had any problems with them. Only thing that is only slightly annoying is the tongue moves off to one side. I actually chose the wildcats for the aggressive tread so I wouldn't need to replace them as often. Hope this some what helps.

p.s. I realize (after the post) nothing in my post has anything to do with Fireblade's.

Stephen R

@32729

I loved my old pair of fireblades. The fireblade fits a bit wider from the midfoot to the toes than the crosslite. This is partly due to the different lacing systems, but the fireblade also has a much wider forefoot shape.

The fireblade is slightly thicker and overall it is more durable. Both these shoes however are in sportivas lightweight trail running category. Have you looked at the skylite? It's the same shoe as the crosslite but with a different, less-aggressive tread.

Comparing the fireblade to the wildcat isn't really a fair comparison. The wildcat will definitely last longer, but will also feel more clunky and like a platform under your feet. The wildcat is in the midweight category and provides a lot more cushioning, stiffness, and durability. My pair of Lynx shoes, which are very similar to the wildcat, have lasted far longer than the fireblades.

My fireblades held up reasonably well. I would still be wearing them if not for the slight posting that they have. I supinate and prefer neutral shoes.

For me, the fireblade is one of the best fitting shoes I've ever worn. Narrow heal, wide forefoot. Perfect for me. And they're orange!

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

Question for Stephen… You say the Wildcat is a mid-weight shoe. what do you mean by that? I don't have my shoes nor a scale in front of me but according to the La Sportiva website the Wildcat actually weighs less than the Fireblade (although I do know that sites have been known to exaggerate weights.

Stephen R

@32729

Good question. It's confusing. Midweight used to make me think of a beefier, more boot-like trail runner. With trailrunners like these the class I'm referring to is more about the amount of support, cushioning, stiffness, and so forth. It's more about the way it runs than it is about the actual weight.

Maybe a better way to classify would be to say minimalist, regular, and supportive. The crosslite and other shoes that have minimal cushioning and rubber would fall under the minimalist category. So even though the weights might be the same between the Wildcat and the fireblade, they run much differently. Confused yet?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I've used fireblades and liked them a lot. They have very little cushion, are more durable than most trail runners, and have relatively low rise. I bought inov8 315s to replace the fireblades, and in comparison, the 315s felt clunky, less responsive, and too high after using the fireblades. I ended up getting some Inov-8 X talon 212s, which are pretty mininmal, but have more cushion and feel softer in the sole than the fireblades. Really the only thing I didn't like about the fireblades are the relatively flat tread. It is pretty sticky though, and more durable than the Inov-8 sticky rubber soles.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I found the Crosslight/leather to be a hair narrower across the board. My heel slipped a bit in my Fireblades, but is perfect in my Crossleathers.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools