Topic

How do you set up your MLD Trailstar?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique How do you set up your MLD Trailstar?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Shaun Carrigan

@gubid

I've just ordered my Trailstar, it's a 5 week wait for it to come. Whilst researching a solution to my main concern the lack of bug protection! See hear for possible solutions:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/process#forumtop
    What has struck me was that people were talking about the multitude of ways it is possible to set the Trailstar up. I thought this could be the makings of a new thread? So exactly how do you set up your Trailstar?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

There are three basic pitches:

1. Large opening, where the trekking pole used for entrance is used to prop up a corner.

2. Small opening, which looks like an inverted V. Here, the door is supported mid-panel.

3. Pyramid, where one panel is doubled up on itself.

With each of these pitches you can vary the height of the pitch as well as the size of the door.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

What Travis said.

During warmer weather with little wind and maybe a bit of rain overnight I use #1 with a high pitch. AKA cabana mode. Good views.

If lots of snow is expected I use #2, but with a very high and narrow door. This creates a pronounced ridgeline which sheds snow well.

If the winds are going crazy I use #2, but with a low and wider door, and tension all the midpanel tieouts as well. Super stable and quiet once you get all the point tied to good anchors.

I've used #3 once, when I had a hard time finding enough flat, nonbrushy ground on a gravel bar. Not much interior space, but enough for me and my gear and quite sturdy.

Ivo Vanmontfort
    BPL Member

@ivo

I already made ​​two trailstar copies.
    One for me and one for a friend
    He wrote an article about the pitching options
    Unfortunately for you in Dutch.
    But the (many) photos can help a lot.
    pitching options
    Link to the photos
    MLD has, with the trailstar, a good concept

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools