Topic

MYOG Carbon Fiber stakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Carbon Fiber stakes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

Removed

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

These stakes really look good – I have no comments (to improve) other then: "Would you consider selling these and if so, how much????

tim hower
    Spectator

@jeepcachr

Locale: Great Lakes

Not to take away from the OP especially if he is considering producing them but ti-goat sells these.
    http://www.titaniumgoat.com/stakes.html

I have no affiliation to them nor have I ordered from them.

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

Hi Tim,

I know Tigoat sell these stakes, but…… they're heavier. That's why I asked. I can always compare prices (if he decides to produce/sell his stakes).

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

Dustin, at that price, i'll definitely be watching this thread in hopes that you start selling some.

-Will

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

Your stakes look good but are very similar to the Ti Goat pegs which weight 7g for the short and 9g for the long on my scales (1 gram units). They also have an aluminium head rather than a plastic which may explain the slight increase in weight.

Did you make the carbon tube or buy it?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Dustin,

I like your stakes. Nice job. I agree with you on the holding power of them. They are my current favorite stakes and the ones I use.

I've made similar ones and also purchased some from Ti-Goat. In fact several years ago I sent pics of mine to Ti-Goat and suggested that they add a head to theirs and use the aluminum points for the sharp end. When they first started selling them they had no head and were very difficult to pull out of the ground and had a beveled pointy end. You are already up to speed on those items.

Here's my question. With the ones I made and the ones I bought from Ti-Goat (older nylon heads, not aluminum) I find that the heads come off sometimes if I pull hard on them. Have you found an adhesive that keeps the heads secure? The nylon head seems to resist reliable glueing. Perhaps that's part of the reason Ti-Goat switched to aluminum?

Daryl

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Dustin,

Cool. That's good news on the adhesive.

I understand that you would want to keep the adhesive info under wraps……in case you want to make and sell them. I'd rather buy them than make them so I have no need for the info.

This stuff is just a hobby for me and I'm pleased to see products evolve.

Daryl

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> The nylon head seems to resist reliable glueing.
    You need a glue rated for plastics. Plenty of them around – start with Loctite.

Cheers

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Any one have experience with this "type" of stake in rocky soil? A lot of my hiking is in the Sierra's were the soil tends to be a mix of crumbled granite, granite rocks and the occasional dirt.

Snyder: Nice job, I may PM you soon if anyone can answer my question.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"Any one have experience with this "type" of stake in rocky soil?"

Yep. And I confess pounding them in with a big rock. Relentlessly, until they are solid.
    So I've destroyed the nylon heads, and separated the aluminum tips. Then I moved on to Easton Aluminum. But truth be told, those heads will also come off as a result of hammering.

So, be gentle my friend.

[Ya, I know – "lighten up with the rock" – but at dark-thirty and time running out, I'm looking for a big rock.]

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

I too have resorted to big rocks at times.

One time, with a "I'm freezing to death and must get this tent up" gusto I carried a really big rock over to a partially inserted stake and found, much to my pleasure, that it inserted that stake into the ground as if it was being pushed by a hydraulic press. No pounding needed.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Here's another carbon fiber stake source. Looks like they used externally fitting caps on the stakes.

stakes

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> experience with this "type" of stake in rocky soil?
    That's where I prefer a Ti wire stake. And if there are that many rocks around, I can pile a few onto the stake as well.

Cheers

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Dustin,

Looking good. Thanks for posting the refinement process. It has been interesting. I like the looks of those tips.

Daryl

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

The tip is OK, but you will find the top cap has a tendency to pull out when you are extracting the stake from a tight spot.

Cheers

Edited: I am assured the cap does not pull out. My experience was actually only with Easton arrow shafts, which are a LOT more slippery. I gather the caps are also glued in place. Seems reasonable to me.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Dustin

OK, I'm interested. Educate me please!
    What plastic?
    What (exact) dimensions for bore and cap? I assume you are using an interference fit?
    Are you using an adhesive at all?
    How do you assemble it? With a press?

Cheers

mike mazzarella

@mazz1111

Locale: WNC

are you taking orders yet?

thanks,
    mike

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

Removed till a later date.
    Thanks for understanding.
    Dustin

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools