Topic

Sub 10lbs for 100 Mile Wilderness in September

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Sub 10lbs for 100 Mile Wilderness in September

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Greg Kittridge
    BPL Member

@gkitt80

Hello All-

I uploaded my current gear list (attached to my profile) for my late summer Maine trek in the 100 mile wilderness. Let me know what you think, and any tips/areas for improvement would be much appreciated!

Greg Kittridge
    BPL Member

@gkitt80

Forgot to add my cooking setup, so my weight is now 10.5 lbs. I updated the gearlist in my profile to reflect these changes.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Dip below the 10 pound line!
    =================

Driducks Medium Jacket – this is less than 11 oz

A trash compactor bag is more than 1 oz, it is actually 2.2 oz – If you use a proper trash COMPACTOR bag, you can NIX the items "waterproof storage – Aloksak – large.

Gossamer Gear Titanium and Easton Stake Package —- 5.6 oz seems a little bit too high for this. Not sure what you have.

You have 5 stuff sacks, more than you really need.

Ursack S29 / 8 oz

Can you NIX this and take a piece of string? THat will save you 6+ oz easy

Polycro Ground Cloth 2.7 – NIX, you already have a BIVY sack.

32oz Gatorade Bottle 1.5

NIX and just use the 2L platy

A 26 oz camera??? With a 7 oz shoulder strap??? Whew, that is a LOT! Find a 5 oz point and shoot.

Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp – NIX and replace with a Petzl e+lite, and NIX the secondary light.

Aquamira Drops – 3 oz is too much, repackage in a smaller set of vessels.

Cell Phone – NIX

Gerber Evo Titanium Coated Serrated Knife – NIX and take a single edge razor blade.

Wallet – NIX – just use a ziploc bag

Greg Kittridge
    BPL Member

@gkitt80

Thanks, Mike. Here are my responses to your thoughts

Driducks Weight – Good point. Some of the weights I took from an old gear list I had. I will have to re weigh this to make sure the weight is accurate.

Trash Compactor Bag Weight – Same as above. I would agree with you, 1oz seems light.

Aloksak – This is for my camera. Its an expensive camera, so I want to make sure I can protect it from moisture if it decides to rain a ton

Stuff Sacks – Points taken. I do like to keep my stuff organized, but definitely could drop at least one stuff sack (I use one for my quilt, obviously I can just stuff this into the bottom of my pack)

Ursack – Looking for a little more insight here. While hanging my food without a Ursack would definitely reduce my pack weight, I would like to hear about others experiences in Maine with bears, and what they did (ursack vs cannister vs hanging, etc).

Polycro Ground Cloth – Agreed, will Nix.

Gatorade Bottle – What is the water like on along the 100 mile wilderness? Will I have ample opportunity to refil my 2L Platy? Or will having the extra bottle come in handy?

Camera – Ah, knew this would get brought up. I love my camera…not as heavy as a DSLR, but takes comparative quality photos. The holster actually attaches the camera to my hipbelt, and makes it available easily. The weight penalty here are my "splurges" and most likely will not consider nixing from my list

Petzl – Agreed.

Aquamira Drops – Agreed. Have the BPL droplet bottles, will repackage into them.

Cell Phone – Havn't put a plan together yet on how I will get back to my car at the south trailhead, but imagine it will involve me calling a taxi/trail angel/friend/etc. I will be going with a friend, so we will probably only bring one phone between the two of us.

Gerber Knife – Will consider. Thanks for the recommendation

Wallet – I am using a small aloksak as my wallet, don't know how many grams I would save switching to a regular ziploc bag?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think the list looks really good. At this point, you are going to be making small adjustments or leaving things behind to reduce another 1-2 lbs, so it's really your call. A sub-10 lbs baseweight is great!

I also noticed the Driducks jacket weight; my med weighs 7.0 oz if that helps.

I only see Railriders for your legs. I don't know what the 100-mile is like in September; do you need anything else for insulation, bugs, wind, rain?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools