Topic

Sub 5lb spring gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Sub 5lb spring gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

Ok I am looking for feedback to break into the super ultralight category I am doing a 2 night trip in the sandia mountains of new Mexico the temps will be lows of 30s and highs of 80 altitude average is 8,500 feet with a peak of 10,665 my base weight is 8 lbs with this gear (small knife 1.3 ounces , survival kit eg space blanket, matches lighter fire starter some cord compass mirror 6 ounces , light weight rain jacket 6ounces " low chances of rain", cyclops headlamp and extra batteries 1.5 ounces, tp.5 ounces , small camp towel .5 ounces , notepad and pencil 25 grams , micro pure 5grams ,osprey tallon 44 and pack cover 2 lbs, mountain hardware phantom 45 with silk liner 22 ounces "30% bag" , prolite 3/4 pad 10 ounces, tyvec tarp 1 lb, snow peak 700mug and spork soto stove and fuel 14ounces , silfix seamgrip needle thread 10ft ducktape 3 ounces , 50 ft cord ,) anything essential I am forgetting or anything I could leave at home to get under 5 lbs ? Thank you in advance for replies

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

You could easily lose a pound with a lighter pack. I would ditch most of the survival kit and keep the lighter, compass,and a backup firestarter. Most of the stuff you list in the survival kit you are already carrying, unless you lose your pack. Some other things I would get rid of are the camp towel and bag liner unless you need the extra warmth. A shorter pad could save a couple of ounces. Also, a caldera cone stove with either esbit or alcohol could save you 7 or 8 ounces.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

How are you going to get to 5 lbs, with a 2 lb empty backpack?

30's is pretty cold, any insulation wear?

Unless it's a typo, I'd ditch the pack for something in the sub 10 oz range.

My shelter is about 1 lb, with a 10 oz backpack, and I have a 19 oz sleeping bag and I'm over 8 lbs even with crappy ti-shepherd hooks. The little things seem to add up like crazy.

I'd imagine to get to under 5, you'd have to do something major. Seems to me most people take the weight from their packs, pad (2/3 CCF) and cooking (no cook) to get to sub 5 lbs.

To me, it'd mean major compromises, not my cup of tea, but good luck.

There's a BPL member named Jamie Shortt who did a good job of it, he wrote a very good trip report of his foray into SUL, I think he has a webpage.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

I have a homemade pack in that weighs 14 ounces it has a frame as well the problem is there is no reliable water sources where we are going so all water has to packed in thus not allowing me to bring a ultralight pack I have a foam backpad that weighs 3.5 ounces I can switch the prolite out with and I can ditch the stove and pot altogether I messed around with a minimum pack weight and was at about 6 I am considering dropping the survival kit I need the liner for the extra warmth it only weighs 3.5 ounces anyway and I have a montbell therma wrap ul it's A desert climate so night time temps plummet but once the sun comes up it warms up pretty quik

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

I'm kinda in the same boat as you scott I am on a backpacking trip not a survival course I want warm food and something recognizable as a camp and for insulation I also have a balaclava and under armor cold gear 2.0 top and bottom

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

If you don't already have a gearlist program. You should check out this gearlist tool.

You can play around with the gear you have (containers) and what you need to put in your pack to make weight. You can load the example to get an idea of how to use the program. It's pretty useful.

I wouldn't want forgo a hot meal either, a dehydrator is indispensable.

Rob Wolfenden

@wolverine

Locale: North East

Can you have an open flame where you're going? If so, maybe you can ditch the stove altogether and figure out a meal plan based on that, allowing you to still have a hot dinner.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

I was able to put a base pack weight together weighing in at exactly 5lbs I will post the gear list after I unpack it

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools