Topic

cat can stove at altitude

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion cat can stove at altitude

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Travis Butler

@sherpaxc

I'm going to be doing a thru-bike of the Colorado Trail this summer. I have a lot of experience with using a super cat stove, but none at altitude. How well does it work at around 10k feet? I'll only need it to boil around 2 cups of water or so at a time.

Obviously wind will factor into it so I'll take that into account.

Thanks for the help.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

14,000' isn't a problem, provided as you mention, you have a dialed windscreen.

Do be aware that the boiling point at 10,000' is around 190°F, so depending on your food, you may have to adjust your cooking and/or soaking times.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

I've used my supercat up to 11,500' and in 30+ mph winds without any problems. Definitely take a windscreen–you'll have trouble getting a boil without one.

Travis Butler

@sherpaxc

What pots are ya'll using? I so want to use the ti cup, but it just doesn't get a good boil do to the low surface area.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I'm a Caldera Cone Keg-H user, so not relevant to your situation.

But, I'd look at your windscreen – holes in the bottom, tight at the top.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

I use a 1300 mL Evernew ti pot. I get a boil in 5 minutes almost every time. And, like Greg said, I use a windscreen with holes at the bottom.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The best "windscreen" I know of is a Caldera Cone. It may take your Cat Can but comes with an alky stove and Gram Cracker ESBIT holder. The CC is the most efficient setup I've seen for alcohol and ESBIT.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

How inefficient would an MLD 475ml mug be on a cat can stove?

Just need to boil water once this weekend and would rather not bring my 1.3L pot or canister stove if I don't have to.

ross erickson

@themaestro

Locale: colorado

what i've use on the Colorado trail for the last 3 years
    snow peak titanium bowl! at 1.8 oz.
    wide body makes for a great pair with the cat can!
    2+ cup capacity and durable
    no need for a handle, fold up a 1 gram piece of bandana
    the bowl pours hot water in my freezer bag with ease

never used a lid, even when cooking after sunset at 13000 ft in september. used ~1 oz of fuel and always got a rolling boil before burning out.

foil windscreen

this is a great pot for a cat can and not over priced like other titanium pots.

you will have a wonderful experience on the colorado trail!!!

peace
    .maestro.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools