Topic

scale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sophia Bishop
    Spectator

@sophiabishop

So I'm trying to make the transition to ultralight, and have realized that in order to really, accurately measure my load, I need a scale. I'm looking for a digital scale that will measure to (at least) the ounce (though if it can do tenths of an ounce, that would be awesome – though not completely necessary). And I would like to be able to put up to 15 (at least) pounds on it – 20 would be preferable (essentially, I'd love to be able to weigh my entire packed pack). Also, several digital scales I've see that will measure ounces are food scales – that is to say they're REALLY TINY and make it hard to put something like a pack on it.

While I know there's a postal scale that one could use that fits this criteria, it's like $100. Anyone have a suggestion for a cheaper alternative? Something less than $50, preferably more in the 20-30 range?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

When I first went ultralight almost thirty years ago, we didn't have the tiny digital scales that we have today. Back then, I used three separate scales to do the job. First, I used a spring postal scale which did fractions of an ounce up to one pound. Second, I used a spring baby scale which did ounces up to 30 pounds. Once I got everything loaded, I would step on the spring bathroom scale to compare my body weight against the body weight plus backpack.

Since then, I have replaced the bathroom scale with digital, and I have replaced the postal scale with a tiny digital scale that does fractions of a gram up to 500 grams, or ounces (maybe $10?).

My shelter, with all of its pieces and parts, adds up a bit. However, I can break it down and weigh each piece and part to calculate a total weight.

–B.G.–

Sophia Bishop
    Spectator

@sophiabishop

Wow…that's quite the system. Preferably, I'd like something a wee bit simpler than that (: Have you managed to find a digital replacement for that spring bathroom scale (the one that measures to the ounce, up to 30 pounds)?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Have you managed to find a digital replacement for that spring bathroom scale (the one that measures to the ounce, up to 30 pounds)?"

No, I have never had a scale like that.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use a Digiweigh brand postal scale that goes to 35 pounds in 0.1oz increments. The platform is abut 6"x9" and if that is too small, I zero it with a cookie sheet on top. Works great. You'll find all kinds of cheap digital models on eBay: http://business.shop.ebay.com/26-50-Pound-Capacity-/50954/i.html_

It really does help if you weigh *everything* and get it in a spreadsheet. You will learn a lot about your equipment choices.

Erin McKittrick
    BPL Member

@mckittre

Locale: Seldovia, Alaska

A simple digital baby scale will do half ounce precision to 40lbs or so, and has a fairly large tray (designed to accommodate a wiggling baby). I don't think they're too expensive? We've had one for gear for years (and now even have babies to put on it as well).

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I use a digital postal scale that I picked up years ago at a Sam's Club for under $30 and for big stuff I have a digital fish scale (with the hanging part), I think we spent maybe $20 on that? Works well!

Sophia Bishop
    Spectator

@sophiabishop

@Dale – thanks for the info! I think a postage scale is about perfect (bonus: I can now weigh all the stuff I sell on ebay to provide accurate shipping quotes!) Looks like I can get a 30lb scale with an accuracy to 0.1 or 0.2oz for about $25 (: Only downfall is the platform size, but I'll try out your cookie sheet idea. Can't wait to start weighing all my gear!

@Erin – thanks for the suggestion – I actually looked at baby scales initially because they seemed perfect in terms of platform/accuracy/max weight, but they're just so expensive! I think the cheapest (digital) one you can find is around $60 ):

Sophia Bishop
    Spectator

@sophiabishop

@Sarah – thanks! I think I'm going to get a digital postal scale. Btw, I love your photo! Did you take that from Sunrise? I was in the park for about 3 weeks last summer, and heading back this summer!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Sophia, yep! I live relatively close to the Sunrise entrance :-)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools