Topic

Shelter Crossroads

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shelter Crossroads

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Bert Blanchard
    BPL Member

@bertmail

Locale: Southeast

I have not used this one, but the shaped tarps and net tents look "Ray-Way" at: http://bearpawwd.com/index.html

I am in the same situation, I have a Squall 2 that I love, and a sil-poncho set up, but need a good solo system with bug protection.
    I will be interested in your final solution.
    Good luck!

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

The lightheart and bearpaw tents mentioned are a little heavier than I am looking to go. I would like to stay as close to 20oz as possible without giving up full weather/bug protection.

David Ure

@familyguy

Rob – how much would you be willing to spend? As mentioned, the Lightheart Solo is available in Cuben for only 14oz!

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Lower the better goes without saying, but 300 is really the upper limit. That pretty much keeps me out of any Cuben shelters, sadly. I still need to replace a few more pieces of gear this spring, getting a Cuben shelter would keep me from doing that.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Unless I missed something, here is what I have listed as viable option for the following requirements:

Under $300
    Full weather/bug protection
    25oz or less (although Terraform MD + Net Tent is 27.7 oz)

The list is the shelter, rough cost, weight savings over TT DR, and price per house of savings. My priorities are (in order): Full Weather/Bug Protection -> Weight -> Then Cost (but under $300).

SpinnShelter + Alpinelite 1.25 + Guyline and Stakes $315 17 $18.53
    Teraform MD + Alpinelite 1.25 + Guyline and Stakes $300 13 $23.08
    MLD Cricket $275 21 $13.10
    MLD Solomid $300 21 $14.29
    SMD Lunar Solo $235 17 $13.82
    GG The One $295 21 $14.05
    TT Sublite Sil $200 16 $12.50

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools