Topic

Wood Burning Stove with chimney

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Wood Burning Stove with chimney

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    David Adair
    Spectator

@davidadair

Locale: West Dakota

Connie – Thanks for the link to your wood stove thread. I enjoyed reading about the many creative ideas and projects in evidence, including your ammo can stoves. I am inspired. I dunno, seems like if you are willing to believe in Darwinism you ought to be willing to gave it a fair chance to work?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Hi Connie
    That is odd, I did not see your post when I replied to Rob…
    I will have a look at your thread..
    The trays are 10.4" long, 6.6" wide and 2.3" high.
    Those are the external dimensions..
    Franco

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Today I had another burn with this stove.
    This time for a bit over 1 hour because of some concerns I had watching the video at bpLite on what appeared to be a similar stove.
    Watching that again today I realised that that one was probably 4 times or so bigger so no doubt it burned a lot hotter than mine.
    ( I will do some longer burns when the weather improves)

BTW, these trays do come from different manufacturers with different thickness and different steel, so if you are thinking of making your own keep in mind that
    if too thin it will probably collapse.. and no aluminium…
    Today at first I put 1/2 a liter in a 700ml pot. From lighting the stove to boiling it took almost 25 min.
    Then I put a kettle on with also 500 ml. This time it boiled in about 20 min.
    Because the middle of the tray is slightly caved in there is contact only around the edge of the pot although the rest is only one or two millimeters away.
    Cutting a hole would obviously speed up the process but given that these types or stoves are used by guys that heat up their shelter as well as cook with them, I don't think that speed is all that important. (that is there is usually time to kill)
    Having at hand bits of wood of the right size, about 7" long 3" in diameter cut in half , will keep the stove burning for about 15-20min, a bit longer if you do not need a hot fire.

Franco

wendy williams

@wendywilliams

Locale: Hicksville

Rising energy cost is the main problems in front of the Americans to buy not only more fuel-efficient cars, but also wood pellets, which generally are made from sawdust and wood shavings, as fuel to heat their homes. About 800,000 homeowners are already using them. this is the biggest technique which can be used in chimney its a great and adjustable air control.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools