Topic

3 season Sierra’s.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 3 season Sierra’s.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Well, I've finally got my DREAM list together. Gett'n a small bonus, so why not blow the whole load in one shot?

Anyways, I was shooting for a 6lb base weight, but I kinda hit a wall. It would look a lot better if I got rid of the bear canister, but not much I can do about that.

So, are there any options I could have missed? Companies/products I should consider? For example, I had settled on a montbell UL inner parka, then I found that Nunatak, and for the same weight, looks like I'll get a lot more warmth. I had previously settled on the SMD Haven, then found Zpacks, and for nearly the same space and a full double wall shelter, I save a ton of weight.
    So, is there anything I missed in my research? Or anyone have advice on changing my strategies, so I can shave a little more?
    Or am I about as good as I'm gonna get?

list in profile…

Thanks! :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

getting from 11# to 6# would take a lot of crossing out :)

the list looks pretty good, so I wouldn't let an arbitrary number get in the way too much

I see some areas where you could shave weight pretty easily

first aid/repair kit- you can put together a pretty complete kit in the 3 oz or under range
    TP- for 4 days a 1/2 oz is enough, certainly 1.0 oz is doable
    fuel- free one :) most drop this into the consumable list (w/ food/water)
    bug spray- repackage, my 4 day supply is 0.2 oz
    notebook & pen- I made a small "notebook" out of rite in the rain paper, bound w/ duct tape & a waterproof fine tip sharpie 0.5 oz
    towel- MSR makes a nice little towel that weighs ~ .5 oz, I find it all I need

2# for food for three days sounds awfully under, ~ 1.5#/day for gents, 1.0-ish for gals should be a little closer

also most folks add items worn/carried as well

Mike

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

You might be able to hit 8# if you double use some EQ and cut weight of others and leave some at home.
    Zpacks pack, Cuben poncho tarp, 2.5oz bivy and a head net, blue pad, chem water treatment, leave the camera and tripod at home, save $265 and buy the older golite ultra 20, lighter towel, lighter first aid. That should get you close to 8-8.5#.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

If only needing a few days of food you could switch bear canisters and lose weight and volume by using the Bare Boxer Contender 275 cu/in Canister

http://www.bareboxer.com/products.htm

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Sorry, I suppose I should have made it clear that this is for two people(wife and I), so we won't be going to a poncho tarp, and certain things like TP, etc. are for both people.
    I appreciate the thoughts so far, gives me some ideas for were I can save a few grams here and there.

Also, I forgot, lunches aren't included in the list, as that tends to change. Usually trailmix, candy bars, and meal bars. I'll have to weigh those items right before our next trip, as I don't have all that on hand.

Mt warden, how to package your sunblock/bugjuice? I was thinking maybe ziplock snack bag? then just dip a finger in when you need some? Certain things are hard for me to judge how much to take, like TP, bugspray, sunblock, etc. Sometimes I don't use any, but then, I wouldn't want to get in a situation where I didn't have enough, if you know what I mean.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

this is for single use, so double for two people- I use the 3ml bottle for my DEET (100% so a little goes a long way), I use the 6ml for my sunscreen (32 SPF) in these style bottles

http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/products/packing/miniBottles.html

know exactly what you mean :)

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Awesome, thats the kinda info I need. Thanks!

Yeah, leaving the camera home isn't an option, and I'm not sure if I can wait for chemical treatment, or can handle the taste. I haven't tried it though, so perhaps I should give it a shot on a day hike sometime.

.5oz towel? How big would it be? I need something that I can use to dry off my whole body if I decide to clean up or swim in a freezing cold mountain creek…
    I wish bath towels weren't so heavy, it'd be nice to have one of those!

I'll have to play around with some things, but it looks like I can shave a few ounces with my TP, notebook, and first-aid.

What about the big stuff? Clothes, shelter, sleeping? Have I pretty much found the companies that offer the lightest for the warmth, room, etc.? Or are there other companies/products I should be considering?

Thanks for the help so far, I'm slowly whittling my way down.

P.S. Mt. Warden, your gear list was my inspiration to get down to as close as 6lbs. as possible. Don't know if I'll ever completely get there, but I'll be happy to just get my total pack weight under 20lbs.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Nice list!
    =======

NIX – the bug shelter if the season dictates minimal bugs.

Jacket: Nunatak Skaha Plus $369 is a lot! Get a DRIducks rain jacket for 20 bucks, and save about 3 oz!

Emergency Poncho – NIX

Filter: Steripen + spare batteries – NIX, simply use aquamira drops repackaged in smaller bottles. The Seirras must have really good water. AquaMira drops has zero taste, and can be pre-mixed for minimal wait tiem. 20 minutes max.

Aquafina bottle: 1 Liter – NIX, just use the 2L platy

Toilet Paper + Wet Ones – NIX

Towel: REI super absorbant – NIX

Notebook + Pen: Waterproof – NIX (non essential)

Gorilla tripod – NIX

Trim down your first aid kit a little bit.

Take just 1.4 pounds per person per day. Easy math. Just figure out the weight required and stick to that number! You might be able to pare it down a little, but no need for any more.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

yeah the .5 oz towel is a little on the small side (9×20) :)

glad I've inspired someone!

the "big" stuff you've got down there pretty well, for the Sierras you could probably get away w/ a 30 degree bag/quilt- especially w/ a decent down jacket- you could pretty easily get into something around a pound, for 20 degrees would be extremely tough to beat the Nunatak

17 oz for a two person shelter is going to be very tough to beat

10 oz for your pack is going to be tough to beat as well (if you don't make your own a used Ion or a MLD Burn would do the trick)

you might be able to shed a little weight w/ your pad- possibly something less than full length???

personally I really like the emergency poncho idea, the Sierras are similar to the Rockies in that we don't get a lot of rain (but frequently an afternoon shower)- a dedicated rain shell is very often dead weight, the windshirt will work much of the time, but those times it doesn't a lightweight poncho should

someone posted up a great idea (if you use a ground cloth) where they put a slit in the ground cloth (back it up w/ a little duct tape) and double it as a "poncho" and ground cloth

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Thanks!

Bug shelter – Wife wouldn't allow it, lol
    Jacket – this is an insulation layer, not an outer shell, so I kinda need it. The E poncho is for the rain.

Filter: What do you mean "pre-mixed"? If it doesn't make the water taste funny, then I'll have to try it out. Generally the water is pretty clear and procured from flowing streams. I've just always been told the drops make the water taste funky, and you have to wait a long time. I'll have to pick some up, see how it goes.

Aquafina bottle – I could, but I like to mix powdered drinks in it for lunch and dinner, it keeps my bladder clean.

Toilet Paper – Use leaves?! I'll let YOU tell that one to my wife… :)

Towel – I suppose I could nix it. It's just nice to take a dip if I'm out for more than an overnight.

Notebook + pen: Ok.

Gorilla tripod: But how would I take pictures like the one in my avatar?!

First Aid: I did get it a little lighter. This also includes a repair kit, and eye drops(I wear and sleep in my contacts), and a few motrin and Pepto.

1.4lbs per person: I'm assuming you're talking about food?

Mt. Warden:
    Well, when you posted your list after mine on that other forum, it was kind of a wake up call. And the idea of only carrying 20lbs. or less sounds awesome. Heck my trail patrol pack weighs almost that much with just water, first aid, and some tools!

Re Sleeping bag: I know, I know, I'm a cold sleeper, I'm not sure I could do it. I had a 32* bag once and froze to death. My current bag is actually a 10* bag, and I don't think I've ever been out below freezing. I should maybe try another pad sometime. Currently I fold in in half for a R-4? rating torso pad, and put by pack and extra stuff under my feet. What kind of pads would you recommend if ever I wanted to give something else a try? My pack design relies on the pad as a frame though, so…

I was able whittle down a few of the things I mentioned to get down to a 9.1lb base weight, but for some reason when I upload a new gear list, it doesn't update?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ then you might have to stick w/ a 20 degree bag :)

I like the neoair- it's light (9oz in small), r value of ~ 2.5- it can be used as a frame as well (it's what I use in my Ion)- it's also VERY comfy, comfy enough I don't ever see myself going back to a straight ccf pad :)

if your comfy enough on the z-lite, Gossamer Gear Nightlight might possible work, @ 2.5 oz it's certainly light and definitely could be used as a frame- it's kind of short, but you could add one of their sitpads (they make a nice frame as well) for a little additional length and only add another ounce more

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

FWIW I would keep the bug protection. If you have been in the Sierras in July and in snow years like they are having this year, into August you WILL be swarmed by mosquitoes. For me, I like a refuge from the little blood-suckers and will take protection for my sanity.
    The Steripen/Filter debate will go on, but the wait time for drops for the water temps that you get in the Sierras is a min. of 30 min to 4 hrs for cryptosporidium. So unless you like to carry an extra 2.5 lbs of water weight while it is being treated, I think a filter or the Steripen is a no-brainer. My filter is 10 ozs. and I drink up at all of my stops and carry only 1 bottle at a time, eliminating the need to be schlepping 2.5 lbs of water that is being treated . Just my opinion.
    I have seen some monsoonal rain patterns in the middle of summer in the Sierras as well. I would have some kind of lightweight rain protection, or poncho. Most of the time the weather is pretty predictable, but there is always 1 week in the summer that gets a steady dose of evening rain for several days.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools