Topic

Storm worthy 2-3 person tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Storm worthy 2-3 person tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

I currently am using a Double Rainbow as our shelter of choice for my wife, dog, and I on week-long N. Rockies backcountry trips (Winds, Beartooths, Tetons, Sawtooths, etc.). I love the weight and setup, but we often camp at high elevations with little protection, and when the weather gets bad, this is not the most robust shelter, and waiting out a day of storms is a trial too, given the fairly tight quarters (for us) and the condensation.

So I'm looking for something roomier and more storm worthy that doesn't rely on trekking poles (don't use em).

The front-runner right now is the Nallo 3, but going back to that weight is a bit daunting. I understand that there must be trade offs, but wonder what recommendations might get me closer to my ideal.

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

My BA Copper Spur 1 sheds wind like a dream. I'd expect that the 2 and 3 person versions shed it even better since they have more of a dome shape to them. I also like the fact that it is truly freestanding. That would really be convenient on exposed rock ridges where you couldn't sink pegs into the ground and had to rely on rocks to stake it out.

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

I just checked out the Copper Spur 3 on REI's page. It is slightly lighter than the Nallo 3, and you also have the option to pitch it with the fly and footprint only, for a weight of 3.25 lbs. Also, pitching it like that gives you a whopping 62 square feet of space! BA recently had a Facebook post saying something like one of their designers "just picked up a Copper Spur and thought it was too heavy".

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

Thanks, but given the design, I'm not so sure the Copper Spur will provide the enough added storm protection to go that direction.

Donald Browning
    BPL Member

@docdb

Locale: SE USA

Over the last few years I've collected all three of Integral Designs mountaineering tents, anyone of which I would part with. I've only used them in the SE, but I'm sure they would meet your needs. I've got the vestibules too.
    Don

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

For 3.4 lbs, the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 is freestanding (no trekking poles), quite a bit more spacious than your DR and it's double wall so condensation isn't an issue, but you may not find it to be storm worthy enough in terms of resistance to winds. I don't really know how it would fare because I just received mine. It would likely fare about as well as the Copper Spur UL3 previously dismissed. The weight is alluring though for a 3 man double wall.

Stephen R

@32729

My Go Lite Utopia 2 is plenty roomy for two people, gear, and hanging out in. It weighs 40 ounces, is free standing, and does not have a floor. The lack of a floor has never bothered me. It's great in the rain, wind, and snow.

David Ure

@familyguy

The MSR Hubba HP series was one to consider but they only sell that model in Europe.

However, they now have the MSR Hoop and Holler, which have fabric inners and a robust pole structure. Reasonably light as well, given the features.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

my Nemo Losi 3P has stood up to a couple good rain storms with no issues.

Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

I'm not why you don't want a trekking pole supported shelter, but my wife and I and our dog use our Golite Shangri-la 2 in the Winds, Beartooths, Absarokas, Tetons, etc. just like you and it works great. It is extremely storm worthy, spatious, and light. We've never ran into a place that we coundn't pitch it.

chris towles

@ctowles

Locale: Teton Country

I hike in the same areas you do living in jackson, i have had great luck the last few years with the black diamond ultralight tents. i have a hilight, which is a cozy but workable alpine tent for two and a great shelter for one. its a little short if your over 6', but i think the lighthouse and firstlight are roomier…albeit it slightly heavier. it never seems to rain for any extended periods of time here, so it is a perfect climate for an epic fabric tent where just a little dry weather and wind will zap the epic dry in no time flat. i am definatly impressed with the waterproofness of the fabric…i was a bit nervous going in due to a few negative reports and bd's designation as water resistant..not waterproof. however in my experience, it is quite storm worthy…i've slept thru the night high and dry when others got soaked. it is also very breathable, under most circumstances condensation is never an issue. i have on one or two nights had issues with condensation, but that was on a river trip in the desert in monsoon season…there was so much moisture in the air, everyones tents got soaked..mine was one of the drier ones because it would air dry so quick once the wind came.which is another advantage. however, what i have been most impressed with in this tent is its ability to shake off heavy heavy winds. I've gotten blasted with some knarly wind and snow in the winds in september and this tent shakes it off no problem. my buddys double rainbow was getting pounded in the wind up at peak leak, and was blowing sideways like in that video posted a few years back. my highlight was standing tall and taught to the wind with surprisingly little flapping. its a great alpine tent for sure, and i might say the lightest tent in its weight class for legit 4 season alpine mountaineering tents. steve house has climbed out of these tents in alpine destinations all over the world, they can handle some pretty serious conditions. if you already have a double rainbow in your tent quiver, why not get something a little more specific?
    chris

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have spent many nights in the Highlight, Lighthouse, and Skylight in the Winds, Bighorns, and Uintas. For riding out storms for two in great comfort, the Skylight is a favorite. My only quibbles have been that the netting on the front freezes to the poles and has frayed a bit. I would say the Highlight would be a bit cramped for two – particularly in the fringe seasons when any single wall is at it's worst with temps at or slightly below freezing and wet snow/rain.

My experience with single wall shelters of any fabric type (with the exception of Bibler Todd-ex) has been that having enough space to avoid touching the walls is paramount.

The Skylight may be a bit heavier but it compacts well, is a palace for two, and when fully staked out is great in high winds.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

How about a Scarp 2. Similar is size to your Double Rainbow, and with the optional crossing poles about 4.25 lbs. I've had my Scarp 1 in wind gusts up to around 50mph and it is very stable.

Jason Knecht

@distortedaxis

Locale: Earth

I'd look into the Golite Shangri-La 3. When it comes to severly foul weather be it; wind, rain, or snow this is my go-to shelter if I want to stay dry.

It does come with a center pole. I find it a bit heavy(the pole) and use my trekking poles but since you don't use those you can always use a stick, or tie the center to an overhead branch to support and hold the top up. However, if you do the later under windy conditions you will find the shelter will move quite a bit.

That said, there are plenty of pyramid style shelters to choose from; MLD, Oware, Golite & more.

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

John and Chris,

You are speaking my language…esp. when Chris talks about getting pounded in the Winds in September. It's hard to appreciate severe weather until you experience it.

I looked at the BD tents and initially passed because of the condensation reports, but I may need to rethink that for use at 9-11K in the N. Rockies, given enough room to avoid brushing the sides.

Also, I still love my Todd-Tex bivy…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools