Topic

sleeping bag liner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear sleeping bag liner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I’m trying to make a mummy sleeping bag liner, but have never seen how they close or adjust at the top. I’m assuming that its just not a long sack, but that the seam on one side opens part of the way down to give easier entry and exit.

Thing is, now much open seam do I leave, and do I need any kind of drawstring at the top?

I’ve got a Marmot Pounder 40F bag that I about froze in at 52F.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Thing is, now much open seam do I leave, and do I need any kind of drawstring at the top?

Just make it as a plain tube slightly longer than the external length of the sleeping bag, so the top end can come between your head and the hood – to keep the hood clean.

KISS! Don’t get fancy! The tangled mess of the sleeping bag drawcords are quite enough!

You might like to try 8 momme Habotai silk: it is quite nice. Try http://www.thaisilks.com as a source.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

Well, I already had some silk I bought on sale to use, so I used that. And it does not go all the way to the top of the bag. About 5″ short. but, that’s what I have, so that’s what I do.

I already did some sewing last night on this. I’m leaving a 1 to 1.5 foot gap at one side on the top.

Man, silk is somewhat difficult to sew. My feed dogs aren’t pulling it very well, and that is WITH a walking foot. I’m probably going to play hell doing a flat fell seam on this stuff too.

Thanks for the info.

Dwight

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Man, silk is somewhat difficult to sew. My feed dogs aren’t pulling it very well, and that is WITH a walking foot. I’m probably going to play hell doing a flat fell seam on this stuff too.

Yeah, I know. I pin the seam up first, then I hold the seamline front and back and feed it through with some tension to keep the fabric flat and taut. Use a low tension on the upper thread too.

Dwight Shackelford

@zydeholic

I was considering increasing the tension on the presser foot, but I don’t feel comfortable monkeying with all those things. I’ve gotten partially through flat felling one side. I’d almost forgotten how to do that. I have some presser feet to make it easier.

Anyone else have the Marmot Pounder? Just wondering about other’s experience with this bag.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools