Topic

Wool Socks with Plastidip Soles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Wool Socks with Plastidip Soles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Webster Jorgensen
    Spectator

@websterj

Locale: Kansas City

I've been looking at various camp/stream shoe solutions and haven't seen anything that really did it for me in the 1 – 3 ounce range.

Then I saw this video:
    Video
    (lady puts plastidip on the bottom of her crochet slippers to make soles)

I put some on the bottom of some wool socks and they've worked well just walking outside for a little bit. I haven't been able to take them backpacking yet.

The plastic dip only adds 10 – 20 grams to the bottom of a pair of wools socks. The socks would dry fast and provide some cut and poke protection in stream crossings. They could also be used as camp shoes when dry.

I hadn't seen this applied to backpacking before.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried this? Did I just waste $10?

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Very cool.

I have used plastidip for some repairs on urethane coated tarps.

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

Cool idea. I think I will try this out.

If you're looking for ideas for camp and stream crossing shoes in the sub 3 oz weight range, check this out too:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=35043&skip_to_post=306111#306111
    (a very lightweight pair of homemade sandals for exactly your purposes)

I might try plastidip on foam instead of the glued-on rubber sole for a lighter finished weight.

Cheers,
    Andy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools